China Green Food Development Center
The China Green Food Development Center (Chinese: 中国绿色食品发展中心; abbreviated CGFDC) is the first agency in the People's Republic of China to oversee organic food standards. The Center was established in November 1992, under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Agriculture of the People's Republic of China, and is headquartered in Beijing.
The CGFDC oversees two Green Food Standards: A (which allows some use of synthetic agricultural chemicals) and AA (which is more stringent, allowing less use of such chemicals, and is consequently less popular with agricultural producers). Both standards focus on the end product rather than the process, and do not generally monitor actual use of agricultural chemicals, preferring instead to test the products themselves for chemical residues.
Food certified under Green Food is labeled with the Green Food-logo both in Chinese and English. It also carries a twelve digit LB-number which makes it traceable and able to verify its authenticity.
- China Green Food Development Center official site (Chinese)
- Eurasian Dream French and European organisation promoting manufacturers involved into green process or products | www.eurasian-dream.org | www.topzen.org
- "China's Organic Revolution", by John Paull, Journal of Organic Systems, 2007
- "The Greening of China's Food - Green Food, Organic Food and Eco-labelling", by John Paull, Sustainable Consumption and Alternative Agri-Food Systems (SUSCONS), 2008
- "Pathbreaking Newsletter Promotes Development of Organic Sector in China", by Lila Buckley, February 28, 2006
- "The Movement Toward Organic Herb Cultivation in China", by Subhuti Dharmananda, January 2004
- Description of center
- "Green Food in China", by John Paull, Journal of Biodynamics Tasmania, 2008
|This agriculture article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organization in China is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This People's Republic of China-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|