Chris Jones (rugby union)
|Full name||Christopher Michael Jones|
|Date of birth||24 June 1980|
|Place of birth||Manchester, England|
|Height||1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||111 kg (17 st 7 lb)|
|School(s) attended||Stockport Grammar School|
|University(s)||Sheffield Hallam University|
|Position(s)||Lock / Flanker|
|Current club||Yorkshire Carnegie|
|* Professional club appearances and points
counted for domestic first grade only.
His rugby union career blossomed at Stockport Grammar School. He went on to take a Business Studies course at Sheffield Hallam University and was two years into it when Sale Sharks invited him to join them. He played for Cheshire at U18 and U20 level, then briefly with Fylde before joining Sale Sharks.
He made a startling rise to the England Sevens squad, and was nominated for the 2003 PRA Young Player of the Year Award. He was part of the England A team that beat France A, Scotland A and Italy A in their 2003 Six Nations and also went on the unbeaten England tour to North America and Japan that year.
He played for England in the uncapped match against the Barbarians at Twickenham in May 2003. His outstanding Line-out jumping has made him a constant threat to other Premiership teams, while a series of long range tries for Sale Sharks has underlined his athletic capabilities.
The year 2004 marked another leap forward. He was called up to the senior team by then head coach Clive Woodward from the start of the Six Nations. He came off the bench against Italy for his debut cap and promptly scored a try. This earned him a starting position against Scotland as a flanker and again against Wales from where he continued to impress. He was selected for the 2004 Summer tour, starting against the All Blacks in Dunedin in the first Test.
Jones married Donna on 28 June 2008 at Dromoland Castle, County Clare, Ireland. They live together in Mere, Cheshire. Donna gave birth to their first Child on 10 April 2009, a boy, Daniel William Jones.
- "Aviva Premiership Rugby – Worcester Warriors". web page. Premier Rugby. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- "Zurich Awards Nominations". Scrum. 15 September 2003. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "Barbarians ruin England's day". BBC. 25 May 2003. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "Italy 9–50 England". BBC. 15 February 2004. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "New Zealand 36–3 England". BBC. 12 June 2004. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "Scarlets 24–23 Sale". BBC. 2 December 2005. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "Australia 43–18 England". BBC. 17 June 2006. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "South Africa 55–22 England". BBC. 2 June 2007. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "Sale 45-20 Leicester". BBC. 27 May 2006. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Yorkshire Carnegie add ex-England international Chris Jones to squad". Sky Sports. 22 May 2014.
- Sale Sharks profile
- England profile
- Guinness Premiership profile