The Strasbourg Christmas tree on Place Kléber in 2007
|Dates||24 November–24 December|
Christkindelsmärik is a Christmas market (French: Marché de Noël) held annually in Strasbourg, France, near Strasbourg Cathedral. It draws in approximately 2 million visitors each year and since the implementation of the TGV in 2007, the number of visitors has been on the rise. Hotels are booked a year in advance and some receive between 15-17% of their yearly income thanks to the Christkindelsmarik's visitors. It is considered one of the most famous Christmas markets throughout Europe. It is thus a considerable source of income for the town of Strasbourg, a small city of approximately 250,000 inhabitants. It is estimated that the city benefits of a 16 million Euros profit from this 38 day long tradition. It is mostly famous for its fragrance of warm wine and spices which travels throughout the cold, winter streets.
Strasbourg has been holding Christkindelsmärik around its cathedral since 1570, making it one of the oldest Christmas markets in Europe. The name "Christkindelsmärik" is alsatian origin. A low Alemannic German dialect which was the mainly spoken language in the Alsace until the 20th century. In many parts of south Germany and Austria christmas markets (German: Weihnachtsmärkte) are also called Christkind(e)l(s)markt (the spelling depends on the local dialect).
The market takes place annually, from 29 November to 31 December. It mainly takes place on Place Kléber, Place Broglie, Place du Marché aux cochons de lait and around the cathedral.
Planned bomb attack
- Noël à Strasbourg. (Unknown last update). Noël à Strasbourg. Retrieved July 08, 2007, from http://www.noel-strasbourg.com/
- Noël à Strasbourg. (2007, May 31). Noël à Strasbourg, le Sens du Partage. Retrieved July 19, 2007, from http://www.noel-strasbourg.com/pages_prov/FR.html
- Retrieved May 02, 2013, from http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/strasbourg-le-marche-de-noel-illumine-la-ville-7686727.html/
- Retrieved May 02, 2013, from http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-20h/marche-de-noel-de-strasbourg-le-jackpot-7713415.html/
- Der Frankfurter Al-Qaida-Prozess und das Netzwerk des Terrors (German)
- Le grand sapin trône place Kléber, Les Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace, 8 November 2010 (French)
- Strasbourg exporte son marché de Noël , ambafrance-jp.org, 18 December 2009 (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christmas markets in Strasbourg.|
- Strasbourg, capitale de Noël (in French)
- Christkindelsmärik, Strasbourg, on photo-alsace.com (captions in French)