Christopher J. Coyne
|Bishop of the Diocese of Burlington|
Most Rev. Christopher Coyne standing with a student during the dedication ceremony at St. Mary's Catholic School in September 2012.
|Archdiocese||Roman Catholic Diocese of Burlington|
|Ordination||7 June 1986|
|Consecration||2 March 2011
by Daniel M. Buechlein
17 June 1958 |
|Coat of arms|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Early life and education
Coyne was born in Woburn, Massachusetts. He earned a bachelor's degree from UMass Lowell and earned a master's of divinity from St. John's Seminary in Brighton. He also has a doctorate in liturgy (SL.D) from the Pontifical Liturgical Institute in Rome.
Coyne was ordained in 1986. He was a professor of Sacred Liturgy and Homiletics, as well as director of the Pre-Theology Program at St. John's Seminary in Brighton, Massachusetts. He also served as Archdiocesan Director for the Office of Worship as well as Cabinet Secretary for Communications and Archdiocesan Spokesman for the Archdiocese of Boston. For four years Coyne was Pastor of Saint Margaret Mary Parish in Westwood, Massachusetts.
Auxiliary Bishop of Indianapolis
In January 2011, Pope Benedict XVI named Coyne Auxiliary Bishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis and titular bishop of Mopta. On March 2, 2011, Coyne was consecrated as bishop in St. John the Evangelist Church in Indianapolis. He was the first auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis since 1933.
Bishop Coyne was appointed the Apostolic Administrator by Pope Benedict XVI, on September 21, 2011, upon the early retirement of Archbishop Daniel M. Buechlein because of ill health. He served as Apostolic Administrator until the installation of Joseph William Tobin, C.SS.R. as the Archbishop of the archdiocese.
US Conference of Catholic Bishops
In November 2014, Bishop Coyne was elected Chair of the Committee on Communication of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
Bishop of Burlington
- Pope names Father Christopher Coyne auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- "Witness the Mystery"
- "Most Reverend Daniel M. Buechlein, Archbishop of Indianapolis, granted early retirement by Pope Benedict XVI"
- Winters, Michael Sean (November 11, 2014). "Elections at the USCCB". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- "Pope nominates Bishop Coyne to diocese of Burlington, USA". Vatican Radio. December 22, 2014. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Donohue, Mike (December 22, 2014). "Coyne to become 10th Bishop of Burlington". Burlington Free Press. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
|Catholic Church titles|
Salvatore Ronald Matano
|Bishop of Burlington
|Auxiliary Bishop of Indianapolis