The City of Hobart is a local government area of Tasmania, Australia. It is one of three local government areas covering the metropolitan area of the state capital, Hobart.
The City of Hobart is governed by the Hobart City Council, consisting of twelve aldermen headed by the Lord Mayor of Hobart. The present Lord Mayor is Damon Thomas. Aldermen are elected biennially.
The Hobart City Council estimates that on weekdays "close to 50% of the population of Greater Hobart would be in the City for working, shopping, education, personal business or leisure purposes".
Major industries by employment:
- Health and Community Services 17%
- Retail Trade 13%
- Property and Business Services 12%
- Government Administration 12%
- Education 9%
The City has five major hospitals and fire, police, and emergency service headquarters.
Mount Wellington and the River Derwent are major features of the natural environment of the City of Hobart. 61% of the area is bushland.
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Hobart (C) (LGA)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- ^ a b c d Draft City of Hobart Planning Scheme 2009, Hobart City Council
- ^ a b Sister Cities. City of Hobart (2006). Retrieved on 24 December 2006.