City of Light
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up City of Light in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
(The) City of Light may refer to:
- Paris, France, the city most commonly referred to as the "City of Light"
- Alicante, Spain, film studio Ciudad de la Luz
- Anchorage, Alaska, USA
- Aurora, Illinois, Chicago, USA
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Be'er Sheva, Israel, named by British General Edmund Allenby the "Crown Jewel of the Negev", and the "Desert City of Light"
- Birmingham, Alabama, United States, also known as "the City of Light", as you approach the city from the mountains it glistens like stars
- Buffalo, New York, United States, as host of the Pan-American Exposition in 1901, Buffalo was perhaps the most extensively lighted city of its time
- Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Gwangju, South Korea, literally "Light Province"
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
- Las Vegas Valley, United States, as viewed from space, is the brightest city on earth
- Los Angeles, California, called the "City of Lights" due to its night scene and the "bright lights of Hollywood".
- Lyon, France, also called "La Ville des Lumières"
- Manresa, Spain.
- Medina, known officially as al-Madīnah l-Munawwarah ("the enlightened city" or “the radiant city”) or also just as "city of light"
- Miami, Florida
- Milford, Pennsylvania
- New Bedford, Massachusetts, America's whaling capital during much of the 19th century, its whale oil lit lamps around the world and lubricated the wheels of the Industrial Revolution. On the 1847 City Seal, its motto is "Lucem Diffundo" - I Spread Light.
- Perth, Western Australia, Australia, became known worldwide as the "City of Light" when city residents lit their house lights and streetlights as American astronaut John Glenn passed overhead while orbiting the earth on Friendship 7 in 1962. The city repeated the act as Glenn passed overhead on the Space Shuttle in 1998.
- Tehran, Iran/Persia
- Quanzhou, known as City of Light by the work of the Jewish merchant Jacob of Ancona
- Varanasi (Banaras), India, also known as Kashi, "the luminous one"
- Venice, Italy
- Wolverhampton, United Kingdom 'Out of Darkness Cometh Light' - United Kingdom 'City of Light'
- Symphony No. 22 "City of Light", a 1970 composition by the American composer Alan Hovhaness
- Live in the City of Light, a 1987 album by Simple Minds
- City of Light, a 1997 album by Bill Laswell
- City of Light, a song by Theatre of Tragedy from Musique (2000)
- City of Light, a 2000 album by Kingdom Heirs
- The City of Light, 2007 hip-hop album by Hilltop Hoods
- City of Light, a 2011 light opera by Michael McFaden based on the music of Arthur Sullivan and set in 1907 Lily Dale, NY
- City of Light (novel), a 1999 novel by Lauren Belfer
- City of Light Development, Kabul, Afghanistan
- Banaras: City of Light, a book on the city Banaras by Diana Eck
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.