Clarion is a six-week workshop for new and aspiring science fiction and fantasy writers. Originally an outgrowth of Damon Knight and Kate Wilhelm's Milford Writers' Conference, held at their home in Milford, Pennsylvania, USA, it was founded in 1968 by Robin Scott Wilson at Clarion State College in Pennsylvania. Knight and Wilhelm were among the first teachers at the workshop. In 1972 the workshop moved to Michigan State University. In 2006, the Clarion Writers Workshop moved from Michigan State University to the University of California at San Diego, ironically putting it as far west as the Clarion West Writers Workshop.
Clarion moved - effective 2007 - to the University of California, San Diego. The Clarion Foundation is responsible for the move.
Clarion South Writers Workshop is held in Brisbane Australia. It was founded in 2004. It currently runs biennially. In 2009, Clarion South lost its venue. Although the workshop was held that year, the organizers have had difficulty finding a new home for the workshop. In March 2011, they announced that future Clarion South workshops were "on hold indefinitely."
- List of Clarion Writers Workshop Instructors
- List of Clarion Writers Workshop Alumni
- Clarion West Writers Workshop
- Clarion South Writers Workshop
- Wilhelm, Kate, Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop, Small Beer Press, 2005 ISBN 978-1-931520-16-4
- Barry Jagoda, "Top Science Fiction Writers' Program Comes to UC San Diego", This Week at UCSD, December 18, 2006 
- "Workshop update". Clarion South Writers Workshop. March 2011. Retrieved 04-03-2011.
- Wilhelm, Kate (2005). Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop. Small Beer Press. ISBN 1-931520-16-X.
- Clarion official website
- Clarion West official website
- Clarion South official website
- The Clarion Foundation nonprofit formed to promote and sustain the Clarion Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers' Workshop