|Birth name||Walter Clayton Crossnoe|
|Born||February 11, 1967|
|Genres||Contemporary Christian, inspirational|
Clay Crosse grew up in Memphis, Tennessee. He became a Christian at the age of 13. He married his high school sweetheart, Renee. Initially, Clay worked as a courier for FedEx for six years. Clay released his first album, My Place Is With You, in 1995. "I Surrender All" was the most successful single from the album. With the success of his musical career, Clay quit his job.
Crosse became known for singles such as "I Surrender All" and "My Place Is With You". He won the Dove Award for "Best New Artist of the Year" at the 25th GMA Dove Awards in 1994. Clay's music has a pop style. Eight songs from his first four albums became No. 1 singles. During this period, his He Walked A Mile won the 1997 CCM Adult Contemporary Song of the Year. In 1998, his song "Sold Out Believer" reached No. 15 on the Christian music charts. He also collaborated with Bob Carlisle and BeBe Winans on "I Will Follow Christ".
Following a personal struggle with pornography, Crosse lost his voice. Reportedly, he was not sick but he was unable to sing. A vocal coach he hired to help him questioned him about his personal life. After praying with the coach one day, Crosse confessed his struggles to his wife. It took one year for his relationship with his wife to improve. Later, Clay stated that he was able to sing, although not as well as before. With the changes in his personal life, Clay released A Different Man in 1999. The songs "98", "Sinner's Prayer" and "Arms of Jesus" were written reflecting his personal struggles. Touring with Jaci Velasquez, he spoke to teenagers on sexual abstinence before marriage. The two singers worked in conjunction with the national student movement, True Love Waits to promote sexual purity.
After the release of Christmas with Clay Crosse, Clay served as worship pastor for The Love of Christ (TLC) Community Church in Memphis under head pastor Dana Key (of the Christian Rock group DeGarmo and Key). During this time, the release of a live worship album was conceptualized. Clay signed a deal with the TAG Artist Group to release the CD and DVD Eternity with You: Live Worship. The release of the CD and DVD coincided with the publication of his book, I Surrender All. In 2007, he released the single "Believe".
Crosse said that he has struggled with lust. This ultimately started eroding the foundations of his marriage. Then in 1998, Crosse had a life-changing experience on a flight home from Seattle and this consequently led to the release of his next album A Different Man. Following this, his wife Renee began accompanying him on tours and the couple began sharing their experience of an improved marriage.
Clay and Renee Crosse also co-wrote a book with Mark Tabb titled, I Surrender All: Rebuilding a Marriage Broken by Pornography.
Currently, Clay and Renee run the Holy Homes ministry.
- 1993: My Place Is With You (Reunion)
- 1995: Time To Believe (Reunion)
- 1997: Stained Glass (Reunion) – #141 on the Billboard 200
- 1999: I Surrender All: The Clay Crosse Collection, Vol. 1 (Reunion) – compilation
- 2000: A Different Man (Reunion)
- 2002: Christmas With Clay Crosse (Butterfly)
- 2005: Eternity With You: Live Worship (TAG Artist Group) – CD/DVD live worship album
- 2005: Simply Clay Crosse (Brentwood Music) – compilation
- 2009: Anthems (HolyHomes)
- 2012: Rededication (Ccm Forever Music)
- 1993: "My Place Is With You"
- 1994: "I Surrender All"
- 1994: "I Call Your Name"
- 1995: "His Loves Comin' Over Me"
- 1995: "His Love Is Strong"
- 1995: "The Blood Will Never Lose It's Power"
- 1996: "The Rock"
- 1996: "Time to Believe"
- 1997: "Saving the World"
- 1997: "He Walked a Mile"
- 1998: "Must Have Been Your Hands"
- 1998: "Sold Out Believer"
- 1998: "He Ain't Heavy"
- 1999: "I Will Follow Christ" (with BeBe Winans and Bob Carlisle)
- 2000: "More Like You"
- 2001: "Arms of Jesus"
- 2001: "Sinner's Prayer"
- 2001: "No Fear"
- 2007: "Believe"
- 25th GMA Dove Awards – New Artist of the Year
- 1997 Dove Awards – Special Event Album of the Year, Tribute-The Songs of Andrae Crouch (compilation album won with CeCe Winans, Michael W. Smith, Twila Paris, Bryan Duncan, Wayne Watson, The Winans, Take 6, The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, First Call, Andrae Crouch and the All Star Choir; Norman Miller, Neal Joseph; Warner Alliance)
- 1998 Dove Awards – Special Event Album of the Year, God With Us – A Celebration of Christmas Carols & Classics (compilation won with Anointed, Michael W. Smith, Twila Paris, Sandi Patty, Steven Curtis Chapman, Chris Willis, Steve Green, Cheri Keaggy, Avalon, Out of the Grey, Ray Boltz, CeCe Winans, Larnelle Harris; Norman Miller; Sparrow)
- 2000 Dove Awards – Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year, I Will Follow Christ
- Clay Crosse Music page at Christianity Today
- CBN.com: Clay and Renee Crosse - Keeping Secrets
- Clay Crosse BIO at ChristianMusic.com
- Mark Allan Powell (2002). "Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music". Hendrickson Publishers, Inc.
- FEATURE: Living Proof - Teens
- About True Love Waits
- About.com: Clay Crosse Signs Deal With TAG Artist Group
- Rolling Stone: Clay Crosse - Believe
- Amazon.ca - I Surrender All: Rebuilding a Marriage Broken by Pornography
- Clay Crosse Discography at Billboard.com
- Vh1.com : Clay Crosse albums
- Clay Crosse Discography at Yahoo! Music
- GMA Dove Awards History - Search page