|This article relies on references to primary sources. (August 2007)|
Clearly Canadian is a North American premium soft drink brand, produced by Clearly Canadian Beverage Corporation of Canada. The company and brand were founded in 1987. The brand is well known throughout North America, Scandinavia, parts of Europe and Japan and was extremely popular in the 1980s and 1990s. The brand remains most recognized by baby-boomers and Generations X and Y.
Founded in 1987 by Canadians in British Columbia, Canada, the brand came to prominence over the following 15 years after selling over 2 billion bottles worldwide.
The firm has owned at one time or other: My Organic Baby, DMR Food Corporation; and Cascade Clear Water Co.
- 1987: Clearly Canadian flavoured sparkling water is introduced.
- 1993: Annual sales hit $155 million.
- 1993: Royalty agreement with Camfrey Resources is terminated for $22.9 million.
- 1994: Clearly Tea and Clearly Two beverages are test-marketed.
- 1996: Orbitz, with free-floating gel spheres, is introduced..
- 1997: Cascade Clear Water Co. is acquired.
- 1998: Clearly Canadian O+2, Battery, and Refresher drinks are introduced.
- 2000: Packaging of flagship line is redesigned and diet flavuors are added.
- 2001: Founding Management exits.
- 2007: DMR Food Corporation is acquired.
- 2007: My Organic Baby is acquired.
- 2010: Successful creditor reorganization.
- 2013: Fan-sourced (crowd-sourcing) direct-to-consumer pre-sales campaign. .
Brands, products & flavours
Clearly Canadian has released many flavours and formats over the years, including the following flavoured sparkling waters:
- Wild Cherry
- Green Apple
- Peach Mango
- Orchard Peach
- Mountain Blackberry
- Coastal Cranberry
- Summer Strawberry
- Country Raspberry
- Western Loganberry
- Tropical Tangerine
- Alpine Fruit & Berries
Additionally, the brand has released the following product extensions:
- Clearly Tea
- Clearly Sparkling Tea
- Clearly Canadian Sparkling Water (non-flavorued)
- Clearly O+2
- Clearly H2O
- Tre Limone
Clearly Canadian has been released in a number of packaging formats, principally in glass and PET bottles, that have always highlighted their distinctive flavours with vibrant colours and graphics. The brand's first generation signature "tear drop" glass bottle, shown to the right and for which the brand is famous, is an 11 oz. (325ml) light blue conical bottle. This bottle has come in two styles, one embossed with the name Clearly Canadian on it, the other not. The brand's second generation glass bottle was a 14 oz. (414ml) cylindrical bottle, which has been discontinued. In PET plastic, the brand has been available from time-to-time in standard 16 oz. (448ml) formats.
The beverages have used a number of different ingredients and formulas over the years. Its flagship sparkling flavoured water line uses natural Canadian spring water and natural flavorings. Depending on formulation, the drinks have been sweetened with raw cane sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose and others.
- "DMR Food Corporation Acquired by Clearly Canadian". Food Ingredients 1st. February 9, 2007. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "Clearly Canadian Sparkling Waters". Beveragesdirect.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.