|Type||Private (wholly owned subsidiary)|
|Headquarters||Scotts Valley, California|
|Key people||Jim Douglas — CEO|
|Products||Delphi, JBuilder, C++ Builder, InterBase|
|Employees||200 est. (2006)|
CodeGear is a wholly owned division of Embarcadero Technologies. CodeGear develops software development tools such as the Delphi IDE, the programming language Delphi, and the database server InterBase. Originally a division of Borland Software Corporation, it was launched on 14 November 2006.
On 8 February 2006 Borland announced that it would seek a buyer for its IDE division and database products. During the spin-off negotiations, these divisions ("developer tools group") internally reorganized into a division called CodeGear. Eventually, five parties bid for the group. However, no bidder offered Borland "numbers that appropriately reflected the value we think is in the business," according to a conference call with Borland CEO Tod Nielsen.
Borland's 2006 annual report showed that its CodeGear IDE business had sales of US$75.7 million in 2006, which accounted for 25 percent of Borland's total revenue.
On 7 May 2008, Borland and Embarcadero Technologies announced that Embarcadero had "signed a definitive asset purchase agreement to purchase CodeGear." The acquisition, for approximately $24.5 million, closed on 30 June 2008.
- RAD Studio (including Delphi, Delphi Prism and C++Builder)
- Delphi for PHP
- Delphi Prism
- Intersimone, David (2006-02-08). "Borland plans separate company for its developer products". Retrieved 2006-11-16.
- "Borland forming CodeGear to focus exclusively on developer productivity" (Press release). Borland. 2006-11-14. Retrieved 2006-11-15.
- Havenstein, Heather (2006-11-15). "Q&A: Borland exec explains reversal on tools division sale". Computerworld. Retrieved 2006-11-16.
- Cowley, Stacy (2006-11-16). "Borland Does About-Face, Keeps Tools Group". CRN. Retrieved 2006-11-14.
- Cowley, Stacy (2007-03-15). "Borland Reports CodeGear Sales As 'CodeRage' Rally Rolls". CRN.
- Intersimone, David (2008-05-07). "Community Letter: Embarcadero Technologies agrees to acquire CodeGear from Borland". Retrieved 2008-05-08.
- Bravo, Thoma (2008-07-01). "Embarcadero Technologies Closes Acquisition of CodeGear". Retrieved 2008-07-03.