|Stable release||Creo 3.0|
|Available in||English, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Polish|
|Type||CAD design software|
Creo is a family or suite of design software supporting product design for discrete manufacturers and is developed by PTC. The suite consists of apps, each delivering a distinct set of capabilities for a user role within product development.
Creo runs on Microsoft Windows and provides apps for 2D design, 3D CAD parametric feature solid modeling, 3D direct modeling, Finite Element Analysis and simulation, schematic design, technical illustrations, and viewing and visualization.
PTC began developing Creo in 2009, and announced it using the code name Project Lightning at PlanetPTC Live, in Las Vegas, in June 2010. In October 2010, PTC unveiled the product name for Project Lightning to be Creo. PTC released Creo 1.0 in June 2011.
Creo 1.0 consists of the nine apps:
- Creo Parametric is a 3D design app for parametric modeling (parametric featured based solid modeling). Creo Parametric provides all the capabilities of Creo Elements/Pro (also known as Pro/ENGINEER).
- Creo Direct is a standalone design app for expert and non-expert CAD engineers who want to interact directly with the geometry using a direct modeling approach.
- Creo Simulate is the analyst app used for structural and thermal simulation. This app leverages technology from Pro/MECHANICA.
- Creo Layout is a design app for engineers who want to create concept layout work in 2D, with the intention of ultimately evolving the design to 3D.
- Creo Schematics is the app for creating 2D routed systems diagrams, like cabling and piping. This app leverages technology from *where?*
- Creo Illustrate is an app for those who need to communicate complex service information concepts graphically in 3D. This app also connects to Abortext.
- Creo View MCAD is a lighter weight app for those who want to view, interrogate, and mark up MCAD geometry.
- Creo View ECAD is another light-weight app. But for viewing, interrogating, and markup of ECAD geometry.
- Creo Sketch is a design app to quickly freehand a design idea in 2D. This app is free.
Creo apps are available in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Chinese Simplified, and Chinese Traditional. The extent of localization varies from full translation of the product (including Help) to user interface only.
Creo is part of a broader product development system developed by PTC. It connects to PTC’s other solutions that aid product development, including Windchill for Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), Mathcad for engineering calculations and Arbortext for enterprise publishing software.
|Name/Version||Version History Value||Release Date|
Tutorials and training
PTC offers free video Creo training resources via its LearningExchange platform.
- CIMdata: PTC is "In It to Win It" with Creo and Windchill, 12 July 2011
- Lifecycle Insights: Modeling with Creo: Diving into the Details, 20, June, 2011
- MCADCafe: PTC Delivers First Creo Apps, 20 June 2011
See also (Related articles on Wikipedia)
- Official PTC Creo web site
- PTC Creo blog site
- Creo video tutorials
- Creo community on PlanetPTC Community
- 21 essential Creo sites and links