Dallas Symphony Orchestra
|Dallas Symphony Orchestra (DSO)|
|Concert hall||Meyerson Symphony Center|
|Principal conductor||Jaap van Zweden|
The orchestra traces its origins to a concert given by a group of forty musicians in 1900 with conductor Hans Kreissig. It continued to perform and grow in numbers and stature, so that in 1945 it was in a position to appoint Antal Doráti as music director. Under Doráti, the orchestra became fully professional. Several times during the history of the orchestra it has suspended operations, including periods during the First and Second World Wars from 1914 to 1918 and from 1942 to 1945, and more recently in 1974 due to fiscal restraints. Subsequent music directors have included Georg Solti and Eduardo Mata. Andrew Litton was music director from 1992 to 2006. In 2007, Jaap van Zweden was named the DSO's 15th music director, to begin full-time with the 2008-2009 season, with an initial contract of 4 years. In October 2009, the orchestra announced the extension of van Zweden's contract through the 2015-2016 season. In November 2013, the orchestra announced a further extension of van Zweden's contract through 2019.
The 2005 recording of the four Rachmaninoff piano concerti and the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with Stephen Hough during live performances has been compared to the recordings by the composer himself. The orchestra was awarded the Gramophone Awards 2005 Editor's Choice; CD of the Week and Record of the Year 2004 from The Sunday Times; and Classical Brit Award 2005 Critics' Choice.
Members of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra with articles in English Wikipedia include:
- Ryan Anthony, trumpet, principal 2008–present
- Lev Aronson, cello 1948–1967, principal 1949–1967
- Emanuel Borok, violin, concertmaster 1985–2010
- Jules Eskin, cello, 1948–1949
- Walter Fried, violin, concertmaster 1911–1914 (also Music Director)
- Richard Giangiulio, trumpet, principal 1969–2001
- Joseph Hawthorne, viola, principal 1945–1949 (also associate conductor)
- Frank Kaderabek, trumpet, principal 1953–1958
- David Kim, violin, senior associate concertmaster 1997–1999
- William Kraft, percussion, 1954–1955
- Andreas Makris, violin, principal second 1958–1959
- Mitchell Peters, percussion, principal c. 1959–1969
- János Starker, cello, principal 1948–1949
- Carl Venth, violin, concertmaster 1927–1931 (also Music Director)
- Ernst Wallfisch, viola, assistant principal 1947–1949
- Harold Wright, clarinet, principal 1952–mid-1950s?
- Scott Cantrell, "New director for DSO". Dallas Morning News, 1 February 2007.
- "The Dallas Symphony Announces Contract Extension For Music Director Jaap van Zweden" (Press release). Dallas Symphony. October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- Scott Cantrell (2013-11-24). "Dallas Symphony, van Zweden extend contract through 2019". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- Dallas Symphony Official website
- Dallas Symphony DSOKids.com, educational site
- Dallas Symphony Chorus Official website of the Dallas Symphony Chorus
- Dallas Symphony and Chorus reviews and press