reading at the 2014 Gaithersburg Book Festival
|Education||Freeport High School,|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois|
Daniel J. Balz is an American journalist at The Washington Post, where he has been a political correspondent since 1978. Balz has served as National Editor, Political Editor, White House correspondent and as the Washington Post 's Texas-based Southwest correspondent. Balz sometimes appears on the news show Meet the Press and frequently appears on the PBS program Washington Week. In April 2011 the White House Correspondents' Association honored Balz with the prestigious Merriman Smith Award for excellence in presidential coverage under deadline pressure.
Balz is co-author, with Ronald Brownstein of the Los Angeles Times, of the 1996 book Storming the Gates: Protest Politics and the Republican Revival. In 1999, Balz received the American Political Science Association award for political coverage.
Balz's latest work, co-written with Pulitzer Prize winner Haynes Johnson in 2009, is The Battle for America 2008: The Story of an Extraordinary Election about the 2008 campaign, is based on two years of reporting, and includes exclusive interviews with President Barack Obama, Senator John McCain and many of the top advisers to the major candidates in the 2008 election.
Dan was born in Freeport, Illinois, is a 1964 graduate of Freeport High School, followed by a Bachelor's and Master's degrees in communications from the University of Illinois. Dan served in the U.S Army from 1968–1971. He is married to Nancy Johnson Balz and they have one son.
- "Storming the Gates: Interview on C-SPAN". Booknotes. February 18, 1996. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Carey McWilliams Award Winners". American Political Science Association. 1999. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Balz, Dan; Johnson, Haynes (August 2, 2009). "A Political Odyssey: How Obama's Team Forged a Path That Surprised Everyone, Even the Candidate". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Burns, Alexander (August 4, 2009). "Inside 'The Battle for America 2008'". Politico. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "'Top Line' Spotlight: 'The Battle for America 2008'". ABC News. August 7, 2009. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Dan Balz, National Correspondent for The Washington Post, Keynotes the 2009 Reuben Baumgartner Issues Forum". Highland Community College. August 26, 2009. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- [dead link]
- Dickerson, Carole (August 18, 2009). "You read it here first!". The Journal-Standard. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Booknotes interview with Balz on Storming the Gates, February 18, 1996.
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Balz, June 24, 2012
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|