|Also known as||Golden Era of Daughter-in-Law
Daughters-in-Law's Golden Age
|Written by||Jo Jung-sun|
|Directed by||Jung Hae-ryong|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||54|
|Running time||Saturdays and Sundays 19:55|
|Original run||28 July 2007– 24 January 2008|
|Preceded by||A Happy Woman|
|Followed by||Mom's Dead Upset|
|Revised Romanization||Myeo-neuri Jeonseongsidae|
Daughters-in-Law (Hangul: 며느리 전성시대; RR: Myeoneuri Jeonseongsidae) is a South Korean drama that aired from July 28, 2007 to January 20, 2008 in Korea by KBS2 starring Kim Ji-hoon, Lee Pil-mo, Lee Soo-kyung and Seo Young-hee. It premiered on KBS2 every Saturday and Sunday at 19:55 for 54 episodes.
The Korean title "며느리 전성시대" can be literally translated to "The Golden Age of Daughters-in-Law". This is an ironic reference to the fact that the traditional role of a Korean daughter-in-law was a life filled with thankless drudgery. This show explores whether modern life and ethos have improved the lives of daughters-in-law in various circumstances with a comedic tone.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Kim Ji-hoon (김지훈) as Lee Boksu (이복수)
- The only son among four sisters, Boksu is the apple of his mother's eye. He is the "jang-son" of his family - the oldest son of the oldest son who is expected to carry on his family's legacy, and he feels the weight of that responsibility on his shoulders. Although he is handsome and graduated from the prestigious Seoul National University, he does not hail from a fancy background, as his family owns a pig's feet ("jok-bal") restaurant.
- Lee Soo-kyung (이수경) as Cho Mijin (조미진)
- Mijin has such a silly and cute personality that her husband's nickname for her is Dooly. But she is also very ambitious and capable at her job at SOPY Fashion, a clothing design company. She grew up in an affluent family. She meets Boksu at work, and marries him. Although very independent and modern, she abides by tradition and moves in with his family to live behind the pig's feet restaurant, to the dismay of her mother.
- Lee Pil-mo (이필모) as Cho Inwoo (조인우)
- Mijin's older brother. Studied at NYU Stern School of Business, but dropped out and returned to Korea to become a filmmaker. Currently works as a production assistant for a serial drama.
- Seo Young-hee (서영희) as Lee Boknam (이복남)
- Boksu's younger sister. All her life, she felt overshadowed by her brother. Unlike her new sister-in-law Mijin, she doesn't care about her appearance, frequently dressing slovenly, and always wearing her owl-like glasses. Her mother is proud of her, but her grandmother doesn't think any man will marry her. She currently works as a writer for a serial drama where she meets Inwoo.
- Lee family
- Kim Eul-dong (김을동) as Oh Hyangsim (오향심)
- Mother of Soogil and Myunghee and Grandmother of Boksu and Boknam. As the matriarch, she handles her family with an iron fist, and everyone lives in fear of her. Although she is a scary mother-in-law, she is wise. Holds the secret recipe for the pig's feet dish that she intends to pass down to her children.
- Park In-hwan (박인환) as Lee Soogil (이수길)
- Father of Boksu and Boknam. Works at the pig's feet restaurant. Lives in fear of his mother Hyangsim, who he never disobeys. Appears easygoing, but can also have an explosive temper like his mother.
- Yoon Yeo-jeong (윤여정) as Suh Misoon (서미순)
- Served her family and raised her children like a good, traditional daughter-in-law for decades. Very devoted to her son, Boksu. When Mijin becomes her daughter-in-law, she looks forward to ordering Mijin around like Hyangsim ordered her around, but things do not go her way.
- Cho family
- Kim Bo-yeon (김보연) as Yoo Inkyung (유인경)
- Stylish and flamboyant mother of Mijin and Inwoo. Frequently dresses in mini-skirts and heels, she is a popular "karaoke therapist" for housewives. She is dismayed when her daughter marries into a common family like Boksu's, and constantly finds them not up to her standard of elegance and luxury. She is also very disappointed by her son for dropping out of business school.
- Lee Young-ha (이영하) as Cho Minsik (조민식)
- Easygoing and good-humored husband of Inkyung. Quit his corporate job to fulfill his dream of opening a French restaurant. Does not have a problem with his in-laws like his wife does.
- Ko family
- Kim Hye-ok (김혜옥) as Lee Myunghee (이명희)
- Daughter of Hyangsim and sister of Soogil. Married into a rich, prestigious family, and uses her status and wealth to get what she wants. Despite her wealth, she takes great pride in how well she serves her husband with meticulous housework and cooking skills. Very disapproving of pretty much everyone. Probably the most abusive mother-in-law in the series and an all-around cold-hearted bitch.
- Yoon Joo-sang (윤주상) as Ko Yeonjoong (고연중)
- Husband of Myunghee, and father of Joonmyung. An accomplished doctor and the director of a hospital. Although he has a much more easygoing personality than his wife, and loves to laugh, he has somewhat neglected his family over the years due to his focus on his career.
- Jang Hyun-sung (장현성) as Ko Joonmyung (고준명)
- An only child, he is also a doctor who works at his father's hospital. Fell deeply in love with Soyoung, who was a nurse, and married her against his mother's wishes. Soyoung left him after a year of marriage because she couldn't take her mother-in-law's abuse. Then Joonmyung marries Soohyun. Although he tries to be a good husband to his second wife, he remains very resentful towards his mother.
- Song Sun-mi (송선미) as Cha Soohyun (차수현)
- Joonmyung's second wife, and the daughter of a former university chancellor. Soohyun is the head designer of SOPY Fashion, where Boksu and Mijin also work. Soohyun's mother died of illness a few years ago and Joonmyung was her doctor. Her husband praises her for having a calm and patient personality. But although Soohyun loves her husband, she comes to realize that his heart is somewhere else.
- Extended cast
- Lee Jong-won (이종원) as Kim Giha (김기하)
- A talented photographer who Soohyun hires to work for SOPY Fashion. He has a gruff, sarcastic manner.
- Yeo Woon-kye (여운계) as Suh Ongsim (서옹심)
- Owns a neighboring restaurant to the Lee family, and loves to gossip. Very curious about the going-ons of her neighbors.
- Kim Mi-kyung (김미경) as Oh Sangsook (오상숙)
- Employee of SOPY Fashion, and Mijin's superior.
- Lee Ha (이하) as Noh Seungyoo (노승유)
- Employee of SOPY Fashion. Recommends that Soohyun hire Giha, his friend.
- Sung Eun (성은) as Huh Gina (허지나)
- A designer at SOPY Fashion who becomes interested in Boksu because of his good looks and high position in the company, but drops him quickly after discovering that he is the scion of a pig's feet restaurant. Even though she rejected Boksu, she continues to be jealous when Mijin finds happiness with him.
- 2007 KBS Drama Awards
- Excellence Award, Actor: Jang Hyun-sung
- Best Supporting Actor: Lee Pil-mo
- Best Supporting Actress: Kim Hye-ok
- Best New Actor: Kim Ji-hoon
- Best New Actress: Lee Soo-kyung
- Best Couple Award: Kim Ji-hoon and Lee Soo-kyung