Dave Anderson (sportswriter)
Dave Anderson (born May 6, 1929 in Troy, New York) is an American sportswriter based in New York City. In 1981 he won a Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary on sporting events. He is the author of 21 books and more than 350 magazine articles.
Anderson has written for a number of New York papers. He covered the Brooklyn Dodgers for the Brooklyn Eagle, before moving to the New York Journal-American in 1955, and later to The New York Times in 1966.
In 1965, he won the E.P. Dutton Award for the best magazine sports story for "The Longest Day of Sugar Ray," which appeared in True magazine. He has also received the Dick McCann Memorial Award from the Pro Football Hall of Fame for career excellence covering football. In 1972, he won the E.P. Dutton Award for the best sports feature story of the year, the return of the heavyweight champion Joe Frazier to his Beaufort, South Carolina hometown (he won a Page One Award for the same story.) In 1974, he won the Nat Fleischer Award for excellence in boxing journalism.
Anderson now resides in Tenafly, New Jersey.
Awards and honors
In 1981, he became the second sportswriter to win the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Anderson was the 1994 winner of the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE) Red Smith Award for distinguished sports column writing. He was inducted into the National Sports Writers and Sportscasters Hall of Fame in Salisbury, N.C. in 1990, joining three other former "Sports of The Times," columnists—Red Smith, Arthur Daley and John Kieran. In 2005, he received the Dick Schaap Award for Outstanding Journalism. In 2014, he was honored with the PEN/ESPN Lifetime Achievement Award for Literary Sports Writing.
- "Dave Anderson Retiring". The New York Times. September 14, 2007. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "Columnist Biography: Dave Anderson". The New York Times. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- Solomon, George. "About Dave Anderson". http://www.povichcenter.org. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "2014 PEN/ESPN Lifetime Achievement Award for Literary Sports Writing". pen.org. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "Columnist Biography: Dave Anderson New York Times". The New York Times. April 21, 2003.