David Elliot Cohen
|David Elliot Cohen|
Buffalo, New York
David Elliot Cohen is an American author and publisher who has, over a 30-year span, created more than 70 photography books. He is probably best known for the bestselling Day in the Life and America 24/7 series of photography books that he co-created with Rick Smolan.
Cohen created four New York Times bestsellers: A Day in the Life of America (1986) , A Day in the Life of the Soviet Union (1987), Christmas in America (1988), and America 24/7 (2003). His 2009 book, Obama: The Historic Front Pages was a USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestseller. His 2008 book, What Matters combined photo-reportage about essential issues of our time with essays by prominent commentators including Samantha Power, Jeffrey Sachs and Bill McKibben. The Chicago Tribune called the book, "Powerful and passionate."
He also wrote a travelogue, One Year Off (1999), which chronicles a rambling 16-month trip around the world by land, air, and sea with his three children, Kara, William, and Lucas. The San Francisco Chronicle called the book "honest, reflective, and often uproariously funny,". The New York Times was less flattering, calling it, "a book that proves it is also possible to go almost everywhere and learn almost nothing."
Cohen was born in Buffalo, New York, grew up in Erie, Pennsylvania, and lived in Manhattan for ten years before settling in Marin County, California. He graduated from Yale University in 1977 with a degree in English literature. His honors include a National Jewish Book Award, the American Jewish Committee's humanitarian award, a Catholic Press Association Award and a silver medal from the king of Spain for the promotion of Spanish tourism.
Pro bono works
- "Portrait of America: High Tech Photo Book captures scenes of modern life" by Alden Mudge. Book Page Interview", December, 2003.
- "A Day in the Life of Africa: A 24-Hour Vision of a Continent" The Globalist, 2002.
- "One Year Off Press Release" Traveler's Tales, June, 2001.
- "Olympus Partners with America 24-7, The Largest Photography Project in History" Olympus and America 24/7, May, 2003.
- "America 24/7: Extraordinary Images of One American Week" by Rick Smolan and David Elliot Cohen. The Digital Journalist, November, 2003.
- A Day in the Life of Africa online "A Day in the Life of Africa" Book website
- The New York Times "Best Sellers December 14, 2003". Accessed February 13, 2008.
- The New York Times "Best Sellers January 3, 1988". Accessed February 13, 2008.
- The New York Times "Best Sellers December 18, 1988". Accessed February 13, 2008.
- The New York Times "Best Sellers December 21, 2003". Accessed February 13, 2008.
- Chicago Tribune "Hard to See, Impossible to Turn Away" Accessed January 28, 2010.
- Globe Corner Bookstores "One Year Off by David Elliot Cohen" Accessed February 13, 2008.
- San Francisco Chronicle "Circling the globe with family in tow" Accessed February 13, 2008.
- The New York Times "One Year Off by David Elliot Cohen" Accessed January 28, 2010.