David Rees (cartoonist)
- For other persons named David Rees, see David Rees (disambiguation)
June 22, 1972 |
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
|Area(s)||Writer, artist, sharpener of pencils|
|Get Your War On|
David Thomas Rees (// reece; born June 22, 1972) is a cartoonist and humorist whose best-known work combines bland clip art with outrageous "trash talk" to incongruous effect. More recently, he has started the service Artisanal Pencil Sharpening.
His office-cubicle humor is partly inspired by his experience working in a basement for Citicorp; he was later a part-time fact-checker for Maxim and Martha Stewart Weddings magazines, until he was laid off.
Rees's best-known and most controversial comic is Get Your War On. He is also the author of the comic strips My New Fighting Technique is Unstoppable, My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable, and Adventures of Confessions of Saint Augustine Bear.
In July 2010, Rees announced his Artisanal Pencil Sharpening service, where, for prices starting at $40.00, people can mail in their own pencils to be sharpened by him, or receive a sharpened pencil provided by the craftsman. According to the site, "...craftsman David Rees still practices the age-old art of manual pencil sharpening. His artisanal service is perfect for artists, writers, and standardized test takers. Shipped with their shavings and a 'certificate of sharpening', these extra-sharp pencils make wonderful gifts." His book, How to Sharpen Pencils, was released April 16, 2012.
In 2013, Rees began writing for Wired's first scripted web series Codefellas. In July 2014, Going Deep with David Rees launched on the National Geographic Channel. The show features Rees humorously investigating the science and process behind very basic tasks, like making ice and tying shoelaces.
- Get Your War On. Brooklyn: Soft Skull, 2002. ISBN 1-887128-76-X.
- My New Fighting Technique is Unstoppable. New York: Riverhead, 2003. ISBN 1-57322-373-5.
- My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable. New York: Riverhead, 2004. ISBN 1-57322-382-4.
- Get Your War On II. New York: Riverhead, 2004. ISBN 1-59448-048-6.
- Get Your War On: The definitive account of the war on terror, 2001-2008. Brooklyn: Soft Skull, 2008. ISBN 1-59376-213-5.
- How to Sharpen Pencils: A Practical and Theoretical Treatise on the Artisanal Craft of Pencil Sharpening. Melville House, 2012. ISBN 1-61219-040-5.
- MotherboardTV: "The Finer Points of David Rees". Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- Higgins, Chris (August 24, 2014). "Pooters, SkyMall, and Haterade - The David Rees Interview". Mental Floss. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- Artisanal Pencil Sharpening website
- Three Questions for David Rees About His New Artisanal Pencil-Sharpening Project, Daily Details
- For the person who has everything: artisanal pencil sharpening, The Los Angeles Times
- David Rees (21 June 2013). "www.mnftiu.cc » Blog Archive » CODEFELLAS". WordPress. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Todd Spangler (21 June 2013). "Wired’s ‘Codefellas’ Plays NSA Privacy Flap for Laughs - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Camilleri, Ricky (20 June 2013). "John Hodgman LIVE - HuffPost Live". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Cauthon, Phil. "Q&A with David Rees: Get Your War On creator returns to Lawrence to spread the gospel of dissent," Lawrence.com (Sept. 26, 2005). Accessed Oct. 7, 2008.
- Interview in The Comics Interpreter vol. 2, #3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Rees.|
- MNFTIU - David Rees's site, an initialism for My New Fighting (or Filing) Technique Is Unstoppable
- Artisanal Pencil Sharpening
- David Rees on The Huffington Post
- GQ Interview with Rees
- David Rees interview by Travis Jeppesen
- Interview with David Rees on Reddit (AMA)
- The Rumpus interview with David Rees
- Pooters, Skymall and Haterade: The David Rees Interview by MentalFloss