David Rees (cartoonist)
- For other persons named David/Dai Rees, see David/Dai Rees
June 22, 1972 |
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
|Area(s)||Writer, artist, pencil sharpener|
|Notable works||Get Your War On|
David Thomas Rees (born June 22, 1972; pron.: //, like "reece", not "reez") is a cartoonist and humorist whose best-known work combines bland clip art with outrageous "trash talk" to incongruous effect. The comic strips have achieved wide popularity[peacock term] and some controversy.
Rees grew up in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and was an avid reader of Rex Morgan, M.D. comics. He is a graduate of Oberlin College, and drew comics for the school's newspaper. His office-cubicle humor is partly inspired by his experience working in a basement for Citicorp; he was later a part time fact-checker for Maxim magazine and Martha Stewart Weddings magazine, until he was laid off.
Rees's best-known and most controversial comic is Get Your War On. He is also the author of the comic strips My New Fighting Technique is Unstoppable, My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable, and Adventures of Confessions of Saint Augustine Bear.
Artisanal Pencil Sharpening service 
In July 2010, Rees announced his Artisanal Pencil Sharpening service, where for starting at $35.00, people can mail in their own pencils to be sharpened by him, or receive a sharpened pencil provided by the craftsman. According to the site, "...craftsman David Rees still practices the age-old art of manual pencil sharpening. His artisanal service is perfect for artists, writers, and standardized test takers. Shipped with their shavings and a 'certificate of sharpening', these extra-sharp pencils make wonderful gifts." His book, How to Sharpen Pencils, was released April 16, 2012.
- Get Your War On. Brooklyn: Soft Skull, 2002. ISBN 1-887128-76-X.
- My New Fighting Technique is Unstoppable. New York: Riverhead, 2003. ISBN 1-57322-373-5.
- My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable. New York: Riverhead, 2004. ISBN 1-57322-382-4.
- Get Your War On II. New York: Riverhead, 2004. ISBN 1-59448-048-6.
- Get Your War On: The definitive account of the war on terror, 2001-2008. Brooklyn: Soft Skull, 2008. ISBN 1-59376-213-5.
- How to Sharpen Pencils: A Practical and Theoretical Treatise on the Artisanal Craft of Pencil Sharpening. Melville House, 2012. ISBN 1-61219-040-5.
- MotherboardTV: "The Finer Points of David Rees". Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- Cauthon, Phil. "Q&A with David Rees: Get Your War On creator returns to Lawrence to spread the gospel of dissent," Lawrence.com (Sept. 26, 2005). Accessed Oct. 7, 2008.
- Artisanal Pencil Sharpening website
- Three Questions for David Rees About His New Artisanal Pencil-Sharpening Project, Daily Details
- For the person who has everything: artisanal pencil sharpening, The Los Angeles Times
- Interview in The Comics Interpreter vol. 2, #3
- MNFTIU - David Rees's site, an initialism for My New Fighting (or Filing) Technique Is Unstoppable
- Artisanal Pencil Sharpening
- David Rees on The Huffington Post
- David Rees interview by Travis Jeppesen
- OUR ART SITE DOT COM Interviews David Rees
- Video of David Rees' Talk at Columbia
- Video of Get Your War On on 236.com
- [http://www.thingx.tv/videos/think-x/think-x-with-david-rees.html/ David Reese interview on Thing X