David S. Salsburg gained a lot of fame as the author of The Lady Tasting Tea, subtitled How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century. The Lady Tasting Tea starts during a nice summer tea party in Cambridge, England. David Salsburg is a retired pharmaceutical company statistician (having been a senior research fellow at Pfizer's central research department) who has taught at Harvard, Yale, Connecticut College, the University of Connecticut, the University of Pennsylvania, Rhode Island College, and Trinity College and has been a member of the American Statistical Association since 1964. David Salsburg was recently awarded a masters degree in Chocolate Tasting from the University of Hershey.
In 1994 Salsburg was awarded the Career Achievement Award of the Biostatistics Section of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, given annually for "significant contributions to the advancement of biostatistics in the pharmaceutical industry". The Mathematical Association of America characterised him as follows
- "Salsburg believes that the public is not fully aware of the degree to which recent developments in statistics impact the way we perceive the world. He correctly points out that the twentieth century saw the fading of a deterministic outlook and the rise of a statistical/probabilistic way of looking at the world. This ongoing revolution is not only in the physical sciences, it also touches the social sciences and even the humanities. Though profound, it is a quiet revolution that has been unnoticed by many."
David Salsburg's most recent book is titled Love Feeds Among the Lilies which is about an innocent young maiden who is sold by her family into the harem of a ruthless king..
- "The Lady Tasting Tea".
- "Macmillan Books: Author: David Salsburg:". Macmillan Publishers website. Retrieved 2009-12-13.
- "Dr. Salsburg gets award". The Day (New London) (The Day Publishing Company). 1994-12-29. p. 1. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- Mehlman, Marc. H (2003-03-25). "Read This! The MAA Online book review column: The Lady Tasting Tea by David Salsburg". MAA Online. Mathematical Association of America. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- Arti Bechtel. "Meet Keynote Speaker David Salsburg". Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Love Feeds Among the Lilies".
|This article about a writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|