Daybreak (TV programme)
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2013)|
The current Daybreak logo
|Presented by||Matt Barbet
(See full list)
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Location(s)||The London Studios|
|Running time||150 minutes
|Production company(s)||ITV Breakfast
|Original channel||ITV (ITV Breakfast slot)|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Original run||6 September 2010– 25 April 2014|
|Preceded by||GMTV (1993–2010)|
|Followed by||Good Morning Britain (2014–)|
|Related shows||Lorraine (2010–)|
Daybreak is a national British morning television programme broadcast on ITV since 6 September 2010. It contains a mixture of news, entertainment and weather. Daybreak replaced GMTV which aired its last weekday edition on 3 September 2010. Daybreak launched three days later. In March 2014, ITV announced that the show will end later in 2014 to be replaced by Good Morning Britain (a name which harks back to the original Good Morning Britain programme, the UK's first commercial weekday breakfast television programme broadcast by the then Channel 3 breakfast franchisee TV-am). The final episode of Daybreak will air on 25 April 2014
The decision to replace GMTV with Daybreak followed the full takeover of GMTV by ITV plc. Daybreak and Lorraine make up the weekday output of ITV Breakfast. At weekends, children's programming fills this slot. An advertising campaign, promoting the new show, started on 23 August, with short break-bumpers in between the start and end of an advertisement break, broadcast during the evening schedule of ITV.
On 19 November 2011, it was reported that original presenters Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley had been axed. Chiles confirmed that they were to depart from the programme in the New Year, however they left the show on Monday 5 December 2011 stating that "we were assured we could go with our dignity intact." Dan Lobb and Kate Garraway took over on an interim basis until new presenters are announced. On 8 December 2011, ITV chief executive Adam Crozier defended the decision of hiring Chiles and Bleakley, saying it was necessary to "take a risk".
On 4 May 2012, Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly were confirmed by ITV as the new permanent presenters, Jones said "I am thoroughly looking forward to sharing the sofa every morning with such a consummate professional as Lorraine Kelly."
On 28 May 2012, Ranvir Singh announced she was leaving BBC North West Tonight to join Daybreak, where she will present the first hour of the programme. On 11 June 2012, 5 News presenter Matt Barbet was confirmed as Singh's co-presenter.
On 28 August 2012 it was confirmed Singh would become the newsreader following the first hour of the programme and that BBC Weather presenter Laura Tobin will be joining the programme. Kate Garraway will present Daybreak on Fridays and cover for full-time host Lorraine Kelly in a new two-year contract.
Daybreak is a news, lifestyle and entertainment magazine programme interspersed with celebrity interviews, consumer and health items and reports from locations around the UK.
6am-7am (The Daybreak Newshour)
Matt Barbet and Ranvir Singh present the 'Daybreak Newshour'. The presenters also talk to guests and review the front pages of the newspapers throughout the hour. John Stapleton and Helen Fospero or Louisa James act as stand-in presenters for this section of the programme.
Aled Jones, Lorraine Kelly and Kate Garraway present the main part of the show from 7am until 8.30am. Focusing on human interest stories, showbiz gossip and lifestyle features. News, Sport and Weather updates are presented by Ranvir Singh, Laura Tobin along with a team of correspondents and experts. Matt Barbet or John Stapleton are stand-in presenters for this section of the programme, with Barbet occasionally presenting the whole show from 6am until 8:30am. Helen Fospero occasionally presents the show on a stand-in basis.
The news bulletins are presented by Ranvir Singh (or Helen Fospero or Louisa James if Singh is not present) from the Daybreak Newsdesk at 7:00am and 8:00am with headlines at 7:30am and again at 9:00am on sister show Lorraine Reports are presented by members of the programme's news team.
Some mornings, the main headlines on the front pages and articles from the inside of the morning newspapers are discussed with two guests on the programme. This was a regular feature between September 2012 and Summer 2013, but has recently become an occasional feature, although the front pages are always shown by Matt Barbet. Victoria Derbyshire, Kevin Maguire, Martel Maxwell and Michael Portillo are occasional newspaper reviewers, they often feature on sister show Lorraine to discuss the main newspaper headlines at 8:35am.
The national Daybreak weather forecast by Laura Tobin  is presented at around 06:08, 06:25, 06:55, 07:25, 07:55 and 08:25. In December 2010, the programme featured extensive coverage of the severe winter weather affecting much of the UK. Previously the forecast was presented outdoors via a terrace. A news ticker was introduced to provide updates on transport information during the blizzards that affected much of the country's transport infrastructure at the time. Sometimes the forecasts are shot from an outside location, such as Leeds Castle or Epsom Downs Racecourse.
Los Angeles correspondent Ross King has all of the latest news from Hollywood. Showbiz editor Richard Arnold presents the showbiz updates on Daybreak at 7.50am weekdays. Items range from music News, celebrity gossip and interviews.
Political editor Sue Jameson presents the politics news on Daybreak often as part of the news updates at the top of the hour. She also appears on the Daybreak sofa and goes live to Westminster or Downing Street for the Breaking News stories.
Martin Lewis is a money saving expert who gives financial advice to viewers ranging from Gas, Electricity, Credit Cards, Insurance, Holidays, Savings, etc. He usually appears on the show on Thursdays.
- "Daybreak". ITV. 2012-08-28. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Goodbye GMTV". ITV News. 2010-09-03. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "New ITV Breakfast show to be called Daybreak". BBC News. 2010-07-09. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "ITV takes full control of breakfast TV broadcaster GMTV". The Guardian. 2009-11-26. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Chiles and Bleakley axed from 'Daybreak'". Daily Mail. 2011-11-19. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Chiles discusses Daybreak axing". RTÉ TEN. RTÉ. 2011-11-20. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley axed from 'Daybreak'". Digital Spy. 2011-11-19. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Christine Bleakley and Adrian Chiles present final 'Daybreak'". Digital Spy. 2011-12-05. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Sperling, Daniel (2011-12-02). "Adrian Chiles, Christine Bleakley to leave 'Daybreak' on Monday?". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Sweeney, Mark (2011-12-08). "ITV chief defends hiring of Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "New presenters announced for ITV's 'Daybreak'". ITV News. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Aled Jones joins 'Daybreak' sofa". Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Lorraine Kelly and Aled Jones will be the new presenters of ITV1's 'Daybreak'". ITV. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Millar, Paul (2012-05-04). "Lorraine Kelly, Aled Jones unveiled as new hosts of 'Daybreak'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Goodacre, Kate (2012-08-23). "'Daybreak' relaunch: Lorraine Kelly, Aled Jones start on September 3". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Ranvir Singh to leave 'BBC North West Tonight'". BBC. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "''Daybreak'' Ranvir Singh and Matt Barbet". ITV. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Meyer, Daniel (2012-08-28). "More 'Daybreak' information". Telly Spy. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Kate Garraway admits she's happy to play No.2 to Lorraine Kelly on Daybreak". Daily Record. 2012-09-01. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Lorraine Kelly to leave Daybreak but stay with ITV after striking bumper new deal Piers Eady, The Mirror, 15 February 2014
- Lorraine Kelly leaving Daybreak to front her own show full time Radio Times, 15 February 2014
- Published Monday, Sep 3 2012, 04:29 BST (2012-09-03). "Relaunched 'Daybreak' will go back to basics, says Lorraine Kelly - TV News". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Welcome to the new Daybreak | Hot Topics | Daybreak ITV1". ITV. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "MattBarbet: I'll be alongside Ms". Twitter. 2012-10-28. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Daybreak – On The Hour TV Newsroom
- "Lorraine". ITV.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Weather blog Daybreak, ITV.com
- "Richard Arnold joins Daybreak | Presenters | Daybreak". ITV. 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Daybreak is nominated for National TV award BBC News, 21 September 2010
- Have your say in 2011 NTA Awards The Sun, 3 January 2011