2 September 1965 |
|Occupation||Film actress, Producer|
Deepa Sahi is an Indian actress and producer who is best known for her role as Maya in the 1992 movie Maya Memsaab opposite actor Shah Rukh Khan. She made her directorial debut with the movie Tere Mere Phere in 2011.
Early and personal life
Deepa Sahi was born Dehradun and grew up in Meerut. Her family later shifted to Canada but she continued to stay in India. She had an elder sister who died at the age of 18. Sahi pursued her education at Indraprastha College for Women and was a gold medalist from Delhi University. Sahi later joined the National School of Drama with the aim of becoming a director. However she started receiving acting offers from her NSD days which prompted her to shift to acting. Sahi decided to direct her first film in the early days of her career, the film, Nana Karte Pyaar which was supposed to star Nana Patekar and Hema Malini failed to take off due to a recession. She is married to film director Ketan Mehta who is the nephew of freedom fighter Usha Mehta. It was both of theirs second marriage.
In her early film career she collaborated with noted auteur Govind Nihalani and made her debut with the 1984 film Party. This was well received, and she subsequently acted in Aghaat (1985). Her thespian achievement, however, will always remain her role as the independent-minded and empowered lower-caste Punjabi woman she played in the highly acclaimed television film Tamas (1986).
After marrying film director Ketan Mehta — also was a rising light of alternate Hindi cinema — she acted in several of his films including Hero Hiralal (1988), Maya Memsaab (1992) and Oh Darling! Yeh Hai India (1995). She wrote the screenplay for Oh Darling! Yeh Hai India.
In 2005 she co-produced her husband's film Mangal Pandey: The Rising which was a moderate success at the box office.
She got a Filmfare best supporting actress nominee for Hum and National Award(Jury) for Maya Memsaab.
She became a producer in 1993. She has produced seven films to date:
- Maya Memsaab
- O darling yeh hai India
- Aar ya Paar
- Rules pyaar ka super hit formula
- Mangal Panday (co-producer)
- Rang Rasiya
- Manjhi The Mountain Man
Besides this, she has produced 12 TV series and is promoter of Maya Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. one of India's leading animation studio. She was the CEO of Maya Entertainment from 2000 to 2002 and was responsible for the long-term strategy of the company; she made many entries into other animation avenues such as MAAC, etc. After her stint as the CEO of Maya Entertainment, she returned to her first love — cinema. She is currently producing 2 movies: One to be directed by Ketan Mehta and one by her.
- Tere Mere Phere (2011) (Director)
- Mangal Pandey: The Rising .... (producer)
- Daughters of This Century (2001)
- Aar Ya Paar (1997)
- Oh Darling! Yeh Hai India! (1995) (writer) (screenplay)
- Bhookamp (1993)
- Maya Memsaab (1992)
- Siyasat (1992)
- Hum (1991)
- Ek Doctor Ki Maut (1991)
- Trinetra (1991)
- Dushman (1990)
- Hero Hiralal (1988)
- Tamas (1986)
- Aghaat (1985)
- Party (1984)
- "‘Sense of humour is important in a marriage’". Hindustan Times. 2011-02-07.
- "Maya in control!". The Hindu. 2011-09-09.
- "DU has a lot on its ladies special platter". India Today. 2009-06-03.
- "Ketan Mehta: I must be the craziest man Deepa has met in her life". Times of India. 2014-10-28.
- "I am too restless to be an actress: Deepa Sahi". Times of India. 2011-09-02.
- "No Rules, Make What You Want". The New Indian Express. 2011-10-02.
- "I’m too restless to act: Actress-producer Deepa Sahi". Daily News and Analysis. 2011-09-28.
- "Rare sighting: Maya Memsaab Deepa Sahi". NDTV.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deepa Sahi.|