Defence Business Services
Defence Business Services (DBS) is an organisation within the UK Government's Ministry of Defence that is responsible for providing corporate services to the department. It was established in July 2011 by bringing together a number of MoD executive agencies. In April 2012, the MoD contracted out the management of DBS to the specialist business services provider, Serco.
The following pillars are part of or due to be part of Defence Business Services:
- DBS Civilian HR is responsible for providing HR services to MoD employees. It joined DBS on 1 July 2011 and was formerly the People, Pay and Pensions Agency.
- DBS Finance is responsible for MoD accounting processes. It joined DBS on 1 July 2011 and was formerly the Financial Management Shared Service Centre.
- DBS Knowledge and Information is responsible for data and information services. It joined DBS on 1 July 2011 and includes the Information Coherence Authority for Defence (ICAD).
- DBS Military HR will be responsible for providing HR services to forces personnel. It is due to join DBS by 2013 and is currently the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency.
- DBS National Security Vetting is responsible for vetting potential employees. It joined DBS on 1 October 2011 and was formerly the Defence Vetting Agency.
In March 2012 the MoD confirmed that Serco had been selected to manage DBS, although DBS employees will continue to be employed by the MoD. The contract started on 1 April 2012 and will last for four years with a possible one year extension. The aim of contracting out the management of DBS is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of providing corporate services to the MoD.
The current CEO of DBS is Mike Stone (1 April 2012 - present)
- "Defence Business Services". Ministry of Defence.
- "Information Coherence Authority for Defence". Ministry of Defence.
- "Service Personnel and Veterans Agency". TheyWorkForYou.com. 16 June 2011.
- "Serco chosen as proposed supplier by UK MOD for Defence Business Services". Serco Group plc. 1 March 2012.