Defence Business Services
Defence Business Services (DBS) is an organisation within the UK Government's Ministry of Defence that is responsible for providing corporate services to the department. It was established in July 2011 by bringing together a number of MoD executive agencies. In April 2012, the MoD contracted out the management of DBS to the specialist business services provider, Serco.
As of 1 April 2014, the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency has merged with Defence Business Services. The merger is a direct result of Lord Levene’s Defence Reform report published in 2011, the report recommended ‘the establishment of a single delivery organisation – Defence Business Services (DBS) – to deliver transactional and other services in the fields of civilian HR, finance, some elements of information and commercial services, and, at a later date in the transition, security vetting and military HR.’
DBS is now one of three future ‘Shared Services Centres’ across government and one of the largest in Europe.
The merger between the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency and DBS will not affect services to veterans. SPVA services for veterans – Armed Forces pensions, compensation schemes, helplines and welfare support – will continue under the ‘Veterans UK’ name. However, the SPVA logo will now be phased out and replaced with the Ministry of Defence Logo. The Veterans Welfare Support Service and Veterans UK Helpline 0808 1914 2 18.
The following pillars are part of Defence Business Services:
- DBS Civilian HR is responsible for providing HR services to MoD employees. It joined DBS on 1 July 2011 and was formerly the People, Pay and Pensions Agency.
- DBS Finance is responsible for MoD accounting processes. It joined DBS on 1 July 2011 and was formerly the Financial Management Shared Service Centre.
- DBS Knowledge and Information is responsible for data and information services. It joined DBS on 1 July 2011 and includes the Information Coherence Authority for Defence (ICAD).
- DBS Military Personnel is responsible for providing HR services to forces personnel and the Joint Personnel and Administration System. It joined DBS on 1 April 2014 and was formerly part of the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency.
- DBS National Security Vetting is responsible for vetting potential employees. It joined DBS on 1 October 2011 and was formerly the Defence Vetting Agency.
- Veterans UK is responsible for the administration and delivery of the Armed Forces Pension and Compensation Schemes, including the War Pension Scheme. It joined DBS on 1 April 2014 and was formerly part of the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency.
In March 2012 the MoD confirmed that Serco had been selected to manage DBS, although DBS employees continue to be employed by the MoD. The contract started on 1 April 2012 and will last for four years with a possible one year extension. The aim of contracting out the management of DBS is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of providing corporate services to the MoD.
The current CEO of DBS is Rod McCurdy (30 April 2014 – present).
- "Defence Business Services". Ministry of Defence.
- "Information Coherence Authority for Defence". Ministry of Defence.
- "Serco chosen as proposed supplier by UK MOD for Defence Business Services". Serco Group plc. 1 March 2012.