Location in Pike County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||348 ft (106 m)|
|• Density||558/sq mi (232.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0057637|
Delight was named by the early physician and landowner Dr. William Kirkham, because he thought of it as a delightful place to live. Delight was incorporated in 1904.
Delight is located at .(34.030717, -93.503269)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 1990, there were 311 people, 135 households, and 85 families residing in the city. The population density was 682.4 people per square mile (261.0/km²). There were 168 housing units at an average density of 368.6/sq mi (141.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.50% White, 0.96% Black or African American, 3.22% Native American and 0.32% Asian. 0.32% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 135 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.3% were married couples living together, 9.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.3% were non-families. 34.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.30 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 82.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,977, and the median income for a family was $33,125. Males had a median income of $26,375 versus $20,938 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,749. About 17.6% of families and 26.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.8% of those under age 18 and 29.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Glen Campbell, country musician. The actual early home of the Country Music Hall of Fame inductee was in nearby Billstown, which Campbell described as a "suburb" of Delight (and too small for most maps).
- Jimmie Lou Fisher, Arkansas' longest-serving State Treasurer.
- Scott Reeves, actor and singer.
- Gus Wingfield, former Arkansas State Treasurer and Arkansas State Auditor; moved to Delight as a child.
- "Local.Arkansas.gov - Delight". Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- Foshee, Doris Russell. "Delight (Pike County)". The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture. The Central Arkansas Library System. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Tarpley, John (September 7, 2012). "Glen Campbell Returns Home to Arkansas on Final Goodbye Tour". Taste of Country.
- "Carnahan, Fisher Will Speak at Rally". Southeast Missourian. October 2, 1992.
- Whitburn, Joel (2006). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Country Hits. Random House.
- Brown, Robert L. (2010). Defining Moments. University of Arkansas Press.