Derek Landy in Edinburgh, August 2011
1974 (age 38–39)
Lusk, County Dublin, Ireland
|Notable work(s)||Skulduggery Pleasant|
|Notable award(s)||Red House Children's Book Award
2008 Skullduggery Pleasant
Derek has written two screenplays that have been made into films, the IFTA award winning Dead Bodies and the IFTA nominated Boy Eats Girl starring Samantha Mumba. Landy himself was nominated for an IFTA for Best Script.
Frustrated with the collaborative process of filmmaking, Landy moved onto writing the Skulduggery Pleasant novels, starting with Skulduggery Pleasant. The novel was published by Harper Collins, who paid £1.8 million for the publishing rights. He plans to write 9 books in the series. In 2007, he signed a deal with Warner Bros. worth an estimated $1 million USD for the rights to adapt his Skullduggery Pleasant series, which he will adapt himself.
- Skulduggery Pleasant (with Scepter of the Ancients as an alternative name used in the US to avoid confusion with the series) (2007)
- Playing with Fire (2008)
- The Faceless Ones (April 2009)
- Dark Days (April 2010)
- Mortal Coil (September 2010)
- Death Bringer (September 2011)
- The End of the World (March 2012) (novelette) (World Book Day Special)
- Kingdom of the Wicked (August 2012)
- Tanith Low and the Maleficent Seven (2013) (novella)
- Skulduggery Pleasant: The Last Stand of Dead Men (August 29, 2013)
- Skulduggery Pleasant: 9 (2014) (not yet released)
His first novel, Skulduggery Pleasant, was published in the US in 2009 as Scepter of the Ancients.
Landy is currently writing a short story based on the tenth Doctor from Doctor Who. The story will be published by Puffin and is titled: The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage
Landy is also planning a second series due September 2014.
He is also writing a eighth and a ninth book in the Skulduggery Pleasant series, due out next year.
Landy was born in 1974 in Dublin, Ireland. Landy attended Drogheda Grammar School during his childhood years and briefly studied animation at Ballyfermot College. Landy has a black belt in kenpo karate. Prior to his contract with HarperCollins, he worked on his parents' vegetable farm.
- Dwyer, Clara (2011-12-11). "Plotting a great escape". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Webb, Sarah (2007-02-24). "Skulduggery that's worth a cool £1.8m!". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- "Warner Bros. scoops high-profile kids' book series". Reuters. 2007-05-24. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Rowbotham, Jill (2010-03-06). "Pointing the Bone". The Australian. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- "Skulduggery Pleasant: Death Bringer". RTÉ.ie. 2011-10-13. Archived from the original on 2011-10-24. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Spain, John (2007-02-24). "Gardener in ?1.5m book deal hailed as new JK Rowling". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Pauli, Michelle (2008-05-31). "Hay festival: Derek Landy wins Red House prize". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Derek Landy at the Internet Movie Database
- Skulduggery Pleasant Official Website
- Derek Landy at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database