Landy in Edinburgh, August 2011
October 1974 (age 39)
Lusk, County Dublin, Ireland
|Notable works||Skulduggery Pleasant|
|Notable awards||Red House Children's Book Award
2008 Skullduggery Pleasant
Derek Landy (born 23 October 1974) is an Irish author and screenwriter, best known for the Skulduggery Pleasant series of children's books.
- 1 Career
- 1.1 Novels
- 1.2 Novellas
- 1.2.1 The End of the World
- 1.2.2 Tanith Low in... The Maleficent Seven
- 1.2.3 Armageddon Outta Here
- 22.214.171.124 Across a Dark Plain
- 126.96.36.199 The Horror Writers' Halloween Ball
- 188.8.131.52 The Lost Art Of World Domination
- 184.108.40.206 Gold, Babies And The Brothers Muldoon
- 220.127.116.11 The Slightly Ignominious End To The Legend Of Black Annis
- 18.104.22.168 Friday Night Fights
- 22.214.171.124 Myosotis Terra
- 126.96.36.199 The Wonderful Adventures of Geoffrey Scrutinous
- 188.8.131.52 Just Another Friday Night
- 184.108.40.206 The End Of The World
- 220.127.116.11 Trick Or Treat
- 18.104.22.168 Get Thee Behind Me, Bubba Moon
- 22.214.171.124 The Button
- 1.3 Other
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Reception
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Landy has written two screenplays that have been made into films, the IFTA award winning Dead Bodies and the IFTA nominated Boy Eats Girl starring Samantha Mumba. Landy himself was nominated for an IFTA for Best Script.
Frustrated with the collaborative process of filmmaking, Landy moved on to writing the Skulduggery Pleasant books, starting with Skulduggery Pleasant. The novel was published by Harper Collins, who paid £1.8 million for the publishing rights. He plans to write 9 books in the series. In 2007, he signed a deal with Warner Bros. worth an estimated US$1 million for the rights to adapt his Skulduggery Pleasant series, which he will adapt himself. However, his script was constantly rewritten and Landy, unhappy with the results, bought back the rights. He is currently working on a script with the producers of Clash of the Titans.
- Skulduggery Pleasant (2007); US title Sceptre of the Ancients for distinction from the series name
- Playing With Fire (2008)
- The Faceless Ones (April 2009)
- Dark Days (April 2010)
- Mortal Coil (September 2010)
- Death Bringer (September 2011)
- The End of the World (March 2012), novelette released by HarperCollins for UK World Book Day
- Kingdom of the Wicked (August 2012)
- Tanith Low Novella: Tanith Low and the Maleficent Seven (2013), novella
- Skulduggery Pleasant: The Last Stand of Dead Men (29 August 2013)
- Skulduggery Pleasant: The Dying of the Light (28 August 2014)
- Skulduggery Pleasant: Armageddon Outta Here (August 2014)
The End of the World
In June 2011 Landy posted on his blog  that he would be writing a short story about Skulduggery called The End of the World. It was released in late February 2012 to coincide with World Book Day 2012. The Australian release of this novella came with an additional short story titled Just Another Friday Night. Deleted scenes from Skulduggery Pleasant were included. It is set a few months after Book 6. It will be included in the short story collection.
Tanith Low in... The Maleficent Seven
A novella featuring Tanith Low was published in 2013. The cover and title were released on 7 December 2012 after several delays. Landy stated it was his favourite book cover ever. The blog post revealing the cover and title is available here: http://dereklandy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-maleficent-seven.html. It was released on 28 March 2013 in the U.K & Ireland and 1 April in some other countries. The novella follows Tanith Low and Billy-Ray Sanguine as they form a team of villains, outcasts and monsters in order to collect the God-killer weapons, so that they may never be used against Darquesse, whilst Dexter Vex has recruited a team to collect the weapons with the exact opposite in mind: he wants to stockpile the weapons in order to be used against Darquesse. Its a good day to be a bad guy....
Armageddon Outta Here
Armageddon Outta Here is a collection of all the previous short stories and novellas published in the series along with 3 new short stories, 1 new novella and a sample chapter from the final book. It was released on the 3rd July 2014.
Across a Dark Plain
1861: The Dead Men traversed South Dakota on the hunt for their quarry, Nefarian Serpine.
The Horror Writers' Halloween Ball
1986: Gordon Edgley and Skulduggery Pleasant attend the party of the enigmatic Sebastian Fawkes.
The Lost Art Of World Domination
Sometime after Book 1: Scaramouch Van Dreg manages to capture Skulduggery Pleasant.
Gold, Babies And The Brothers Muldoon
Sometime after Book 2: The Muldoons kidnap babies and hold them to ransom.
The Slightly Ignominious End To The Legend Of Black Annis
Sometime after Book 3: Tanith Low encounters Black Annis for the first time.
Friday Night Fights
Sometime before Book 4: The story of Valkyrie Cain and Caelan met each other.
Sometime after Book 4: Skulduggery and Valkyrie search for Myosotis Terra.
The Wonderful Adventures of Geoffrey Scrutinous
Sometime after Book 5: Geoffrey Scrutinous and Skulduggery Pleasant search for Elwood Satchel.
Just Another Friday Night
Sometime before Book 6: Tane Aiavao and Hayley Skirmish meet with a cursed family.
The End Of The World
Sometime after Book 6: Skulduggery and Valkyrie attempt to solve a mystery surrounding Deacon Maybury, Ryan and the Doomsday Machine.
Trick Or Treat
Sometime before the Maleficent Seven: Tanith and Billy-Ray Sanguine continue their quest to destroy the God-Killers.
Get Thee Behind Me, Bubba Moon
Sometime after Book 7: A haunted house is investigated.
Sometime after Theatre of Shadows: Skulduggery and Valkyrie attempt to avert the cause of the world's destruction.
Landy wrote a short story based on the tenth Doctor from Doctor Who as part of a short story collection celebrating the show's 50th Anniversary. The story was published by Puffin in 2013, titled "The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage". Landy is also planning a second series due September 2015.
Landy was born in 1974 in Dublin, Ireland. Landy attended Drogheda Grammar School during his childhood years and briefly studied animation at Ballyfermot College. Landy has a black belt in kenpo karate. Prior to his contract with HarperCollins, he worked on his parents' vegetable farm.
- Dwyer, Clara (11 December 2011). "Plotting a great escape". Irish Independent. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Webb, Sarah (24 February 2007). "Skulduggery that's worth a cool £1.8m!". Irish Independent. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Warner Bros. scoops high-profile kids' book series". Reuters. 24 May 2007. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Rowbotham, Jill (6 March 2010). "Pointing the Bone". The Australian. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Blog Post - The End of the World". Dereklandy.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Skulduggery Pleasant: Death Bringer". RTÉ.ie. 13 October 2011. Archived from the original on 24 October 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Spain, John (24 February 2007). "Gardener in ?1.5m book deal hailed as new JK Rowling". Irish Independent. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Pauli, Michelle (31 May 2008). "Hay festival: Derek Landy wins Red House prize". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Skulduggery Pleasant (official)
- Derek Landy at the Internet Movie Database
- Derek Landy at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Derek Landy at Library of Congress Authorities, with 4 catalog records