|Unincorporated community & census-designated place|
Church in Driftwood
|Elevation||1,043 ft (318 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1378229|
Driftwood is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in northern Hays County, Texas, United States. It lies along Farm to Market Road 150, north of the city of San Marcos, the county seat of Hays County. Its elevation is 1,043 feet (318 m). Although Driftwood is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 78619; the ZCTA for ZIP Code 78619 had a population of 2,467 at the 2010 census, which is far larger than the population of the center of the community itself.
Although the earliest settlers arrived in the area now known as Driftwood around 1850, the community was really established in the 1880s. A post office was among the results of the community's significant growth in that decade. Driftwood shrank almost to a ghost town by the early twentieth century; although it grew somewhat by the middle of the century, it returned to its almost-deserted state by the 1970s.
Driftwood is also home to Driftwood Estate Winery, The Wildflower Barn Event Center, The Salt Lick, a relatively well-known barbecue restaurant and the Lazy 8 Ranch which had its dry mix products featured by the Texas Department of Agriculture in the 2010 Texas State Fair
- Talmadge L. Heflin, former member of the Texas House of Representatives from District 149 in Harris County, resident of Driftwood
- Shelby R. Rogers, Jr., attorney, former Chair of the American Bar Association Law Practice Management Section (1996-1997), resident of Driftwood
- Rand McNally. The Road Atlas '08. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2008, p. 100.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Driftwood, Texas
- Zip Code Lookup
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Driftwood, Texas, Handbook of Texas Online, 2008-01-17. Accessed 2008-08-13.
|This article about a location in Hays County, Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|