Earth in the Balance
Earth in the Balance audio book cover
Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit (ISBN 0-452-26935-0, paperback ISBN 1-85383-743-1) is a 1992 book written by Al Gore, published in June 1992, shortly before he was elected Vice President in the 1992 presidential election. Known by the short title Earth in the Balance, the book explains the world's ecological predicament and describes a range of policies to deal with the most pressing problems. It includes a proposed "Global Marshall Plan" to address current ecological issues.
Written while his son was recovering from a serious accident, Earth in the Balance became the first book written by a sitting U.S. Senator to make the New York Times bestseller list since John F. Kennedy's Profiles in Courage.
It received the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights 1993 Book award given annually to a novelist who "most faithfully and forcefully reflects Robert Kennedy's purposes - his concern for the poor and the powerless, his struggle for honest and even-handed justice, his conviction that a decent society must assure all young people a fair chance, and his faith that a free democracy can act to remedy disparities of power and opportunity."
Opposition to adaption
In the book Gore expresses opposition to adaptation to global warming, writing that adaption represented a “kind of laziness, an arrogant faith in our ability to react in time to save our skins”.
- Gore, Al, Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit, 1992, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, MA, hardcover, 416 pages, ISBN 0-395-57821-3.
- Gore, Al, Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit, 2000-04-22, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, MA, hardcover, 416 pages, ISBN 0-618-05664-5.
- Gore, Al, Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit, New edition, 2000-07-26, Earthscan Publications Ltd, paperback, 440 pages, ISBN 1-85383-743-1.
- Gore, Al, Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit, New foreword, 2006, Rodale, Inc., paperback, 408 pages, ISBN 978-1-59486-637-1.
- Albert A. Gore, Jr., 45th Vice President (1993-2001)
- "Robert F. Kennedy Book Award". RFKcenter.org.
- Libresco, Caroline (2006). "An Inconvenient Truth". Sundance Institute. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Albert Gore (January 21, 1992). Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit (HARDCOVER) (in English). Houghton Mifflin. p. 239, 240. ISBN 0395578213.
- Pielke, Roger; Gwyn Prins, Steve Rayner and Daniel Sarewitz (2007-02-08). "Lifting the taboo on adaptation" (PDF). Nature 445: 597–8. doi:10.1038/445597a. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
Al Gore forcefully declared his opposition to adaptation in 1992, explaining that it represented a “kind of laziness, an arrogant faith in our ability to react in time to save our skins”.
- Booknotes interview with Gore on Earth in the Balance, February 16, 1992
- Earth in the Balance - Book, Routledge/Earthscan
|This article about a political book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a book on the environment is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|