Ed Wynne (guitarist)
Ed Wynne with Ozric Tentacles at the State Theater, 2006
|Birth name||Edward Wynne|
3 June 1961 |
Wandsworth, London, England
|Genres||Psychedelic rock, progressive rock, space rock, jazz fusion, instrumental rock, electronic music, dub, world music, ambient music|
|Occupations||Musician, composer, record producer|
|Instruments||Guitar, synthesizer, koto|
|Years active||1983 - present|
|Associated acts||Ozric Tentacles, Nodens Ictus, Amon Düül UK, Eat Static, Jordan Rudess, Invisible System|
Edward "Ed" Wynne (born 3 June 1961 in Wandsworth, London) is an English guitarist and keyboardist best known as a founding member, principal composer and the only constant member of psychedelic rock band Ozric Tentacles.
Ed Wynne formed Ozric Tentacles in 1983 along with his brother Roly Wynne and other members at the Stonehenge Free Festival. After several lineup changes, Ozric Tentacles started to be guided more and more by Wynne, who aside from guitar and keyboards was also becoming responsible for beat programming and other studio efforts. He has remained the only original member of the band. The current lineup includes Ed Wynne's wife, Brandi Wynne on bass guitar, and son Silas Wynne on keyboards.
Wynne collaborated with Joie Hinton in Nodens Ictus, after being asked by the promoters of the Crypt club in Deptford, South London, to produce an ambient set for the club's "chillout" room. Wynne has also appeared as a guest musician in works by artists such as Jordan Rudess, Amon Düül UK, Eat Static, and Invisible System, among others.
Wynne's early music influences include Gong/Steve Hillage, Hawkwind, Kraan, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Squarepusher, and Todd Rundgren, among others. Now, he mostly prefers listening to Algerian, Moroccan, and eastern music in general. In his youth, Wynne was personally encouraged by George Harrison in his guitar playing.
- The Grove of Selves (1987)
- Spacelines (2000)
- Amon Düül UK - Die Lösung (1989)
- Jordan Rudess - The Road Home (2007)
- Eat Static - Back to Earth (2008)
- Invisible System - Street Clan (2011)
- Ed Wynne's birthplace
- Cleveland, Barry (1 February 2010). "Ed Wynne Raves On". Guitar Player. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Ozric Tentacles at allmusic
- "The Road Home credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Couture, François. "Back to Earth review". AllMusic. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Get Ready to Rock interview with Ed Wynne (2002)
- "Street Clan credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "Cognition Factor - Music". Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Ed's corner at Orics website
- Ozric Tentacles at ProgArchives
- Wynne, David. My bizarre life with the Beatles, by sculptor who immortalised good, great and even gorillas. Daily Mail.