|Institutions||Harvard University, University of California, Los Angeles|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Frans Kaashoek, Robert Morris|
Eddie Kohler is a computer scientist specializing in networking and operating systems. He is currently a professor of computer science at Harvard University's School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Prior to Harvard, Eddie was a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Eddie co-founded Mazu Networks in 2000 and served as its Chief Scientist until it was acquired in 2009 . In 2006, at the age of 33 he was named to the TR35 as one of the Top 35 Innovators Under 35 by MIT Technology Review magazine . He is also the author of the HotCRP conference management software.
Prof. Kohler is noted for his scurrilous sense of humor, fluffy beards, and love of baked goods. In 2005, Kohler (with David Mazières) wrote a paper titled "Get me off Your Fucking Mailing List" and sarcastically submitted it to a conference from which the two did not wish to receive further communications. Years later, the paper (submitted by another scientist to an ostensibly peer-reviewed technical journal) was accepted for publication, despite a body text consisting entirely of repetition of the phrase "Get me off your fucking mailing list".
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 2000. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.M., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1997. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.B., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1995. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.B., Music, 1995. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Michael Mitzenmacher (2011). "Harvard CS Hires (2011 Edition)" (published 2011-06-06). Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Marlys Amundson (2006). "Five Promising Faculty Receive NSF CAREER Awards" (published 2006-03-08). Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Eddie Kohler, Executive Profile & Biography". 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "Riverbed Completes Acquisition of Mazu Networks" (published 2009-02-20). 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- MIT Technology Review (2006). "2006 Young Innovators Under 35". Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- M.Abraham (2006). "UCLA Engineering’s Eddie Kohler Chosen as One of the Top Innovators Under the Age of 35 by MIT’s Technology Review" (published 2006-09-08). Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "HotCRP Conference Management Software". Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "The Dream Weaver". 2012-11-17. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "Eddie Bakes Some Bread before NSDI". 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Jeffrey Beall (November 20, 2014). "Bogus Journal Accepts Profanity-Laced Anti-Spam Paper". Scholarly Open Access. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- Joseph Stromberg (November 21, 2014). ""Get Me Off Your Fucking Mailing List" is an actual science paper accepted by a journal". Vox. Vox Media. Retrieved November 22, 2014.