August 25, 1948 |
|Institutions||University of Minnesota|
|Notable awards||Surgeon General's Exemplary Service Award; Gold Medal of the World Association for Sexual Health|
Eli Coleman is an American sexologist. He is the director of the Program in Human Sexuality at the University of Minnesota, and a professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health. In 2007, he was appointed the first endowed Chair in Sexual Health at the University of Minnesota Medical School. He has published research on sexual orientation, sexual dysfunction and compulsivity, gender dysphoria, and sex offenders.
Membership in scientific societies
Coleman is the founding and current editor of the International Journal of Sexual Health (formerly the Journal of Psychology and Human Sexuality). He was also the founding editor of the International Journal of Transgenderism.
He is one of the past-presidents of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (formerly the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association), the World Association for Sexual Health (WAS), and the International Academy of Sex Research. In 2013, he became President of the Society for Sex Therapy and Research.
Regarding sexual addiction, Coleman has said, "I think the term 'addiction' is overused and implies that all behavioral excesses can be explained by some similar mechanism. What we know about alcohol and drug addictions cannot simply be transferred to other behavioral excesses. Sex is a basic appetitive drive that for some people becomes out of balance for a variety of reasons. For some it is a problem of impulse control. For others it is more like an obsession. For others, it is like a compulsion. And for others, it is a part of their personality structure and has nothing to do with impulse control, obsessions, or compulsions."
Some of his significant papers are:
- Coleman, E. “Developmental Stages of the Coming Out Process.” Journal of Homosexuality 7(2/3):31—43, 1981/82.
- Coleman, E. “Bisexual Women and Lesbians in Heterosexual Marriage.” Journal of Homosexuality 11:87-113, 1985.
- Coleman, E. (July 1986). "Sexual Compulsion vs. Sexual Addiction: The Debate Continues" (PDF). SIECUS Report (ProQuest Academic Research Library) 14 (6): 7–11. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Coleman, E. “Bisexuality: Challenging Our Understanding of Human Sexuality and Sexual Orientation.” In Shelp. E.E. (ed.). Sexuality and Medicine, Vol. 1. pp. 225–242. New York: Reidel Publishing, 1987.
- Coleman, E. and Bockting, W. O. "“Heterosexual” Prior to Sex Reassignment – “Homosexual” Afterwards: A Case Study of a Female-to-Male Transsexual." Archives of Sexual Behavior 1(2): 69–82, 1988.
- Coleman, E. (1988-06-08). "Sexual Compulsivity: Definition, Etiology and Treatment Considerations". In Eli Coleman (ed.). Chemical Dependency and Intimacy Dysfunction. Routledge. ISBN 0866568263.
- Coleman, E. and Bockting, W. O. "A Comment on the Concept of Transhomosexuality, or the Dissociation of the Meaning." Archives of Sexual Behavior 20(4): 419–21, 1991.
- Coleman, E., Bockting, W. O. and Gooren, L. "Homosexual and Bisexual Identity in Sex-Reassigned Female to Male Transsexuals." Archives of Sexual Behavior 22(1): 37–50, 1993.
- Coleman, E. (2011). "Chapter 28. Impulsive/compulsive sexual behavior: Assessment and treatment". In Grant, Jon E.; Potenza, Marc N. The Oxford Handbook of Impulse Control Disorders. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Regents of the University of Minnesota (2015). "Clinical staff, faculty, residents, and fellows". University of Minnesota Program in Human Sexuality. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Eli Coleman, PhD". University of Minnesota Faculty Directory. 2015. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Program in Human Sexuality Announces Appointment of Michael W. Ross, PhD to Joycelyn Elders Chair in Sexual Health Education". University of Minnesota. 1 December 2014. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "International Journal of Transgenderism: Former Editors". Taylor & Francis Online. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Auteri, Steph (August 2014). "What You Need To Know About... Hypersexuality". Contemporary Sexuality. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Eli Coleman's page at the University of Minnesota
- Dr. Coleman receiving the 2005 GLBT Health Advocate Award from the Rainbow Health Initiative at the Wayback Machine (archived September 27, 2007)