Meriwether in 2012
1981 (age 32–33)
Miami, Florida, U.S.
|Occupation||Playwright, screenwriter, television producer and writer|
Elizabeth Meriwether (born 1981) is an American playwright and screenwriter, television showrunner, producer, and writer. She is known for the 2010 play Oliver Parker!, the 2011 romantic comedy film No Strings Attached, and the sitcom New Girl for Fox, starring Zooey Deschanel.
Life and career
Elizabeth Meriwether was born in 1981. Her family moved from Miami, Florida, to Detroit, Michigan when she was five years old, and then to Ann Arbor, Michigan, when she was 10. Her father, Heath J. Meriwether, was the publisher of the newspaper Detroit Free Press, and her mother was a painter. Meriwether grew up aspiring to be an actor, but when she wrote her first play, she realized she wanted to be a playwright instead. Meriwether went to Greenhills Highschool in Ann Arbor, and then attended and graduated from Yale University.
Meriwether wrote the plays Heddatron (2006), The Mistakes Madeline Made (2006), and Oliver Parker! (2010). She also wrote the screenplay for the 2011 romantic comedy film No Strings Attached. She has also written for the Adult Swim television series Childrens Hospital, is working with Fox Broadcasting Company as the creator of New Girl, and is developing projects for studios Universal and Paramount.
Meriwether is part of "The Fempire", a group of female screenwriters that include Dana Fox, Diablo Cody and Lorene Scafaria. In 2012, the Fempire received the Athena Film Festival Award for Creativity and Sisterhood at Barnard College in New York City.
- Bello, Grace (January 10, 2013). "When Women Run the Show".
- Hinds, Julie (January 16, 2011). = ABS&date = Jan+16%2C+2011 "Former Detroiter aimed to craft a modern look at young love". Detroit Free Press.
- Rooney, David (May 5, 2010). = 1 "Making a Success of Her Messiness on Two Coasts". The New York Times.
- Branch, Kate (May 17, 2010). "Liz Meriwether: Beginning and End of the Fempire". Interview.
- The Athena Film Festival: http://athenafilmfestival.com/