|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2013)|
|Genre(s)||Fantasy MMO Fighting Platform Side-scroller|
Elsword (Korean: 엘소드) is a free-to-play, 2.5-dimensional side-scrolling action MMORPG developed by the South Korean company KOG Studios. It features real-time action gameplay and includes both player vs. environment and player vs. player modes. There are several playable characters within the game, each with unique backstories and distinct abilities. While playing the game is free, some items and costumes can be purchased through the in-game "Item Mall" using real currency.
Elsword features skill-based action gameplay combined with role-playing elements and community features typical of an MMORPG, such as guilds, chat, and item trading. Gameplay can be controlled using either a keyboard and mouse or a gamepad.
Elsword the Knight (Warrior)
- His first class changes are Sword Knight, Magic Knight, and Sheath Knight. His second class changes are Lord Knight, Rune Slayer, and Infinity Sword.
- Sword Knight specializes on swordsmanship. Magic Knight combines magic with swords, capable of creating fireballs and sword-shaped magic attacks. Sheath Knight enables the use of the Bladed Sheath, named "Conwell".
- Lord Knight is a title given by Velder Kingdom to warriors who have reached a God-level swordsmanship. Rune Slayer makes use of an advanced magic named "Rune", combining magic with rune and storing it in the user's sword, granting the user an explosive-level power. Infinity Sword can summon an unlimited amount of swords to use when fighting, also with an upgraded Conwell.
Aisha the Magician (Sorcerer)
- Her first class changes are High Magician, Dark Magician, and Battle Magician. Her second class changes are Elemental Master, Void Princess, and Dimension Witch.
- High Magician uses an advanced magic, combined with knowledge. Dark Magician combines demonic energy with magic, which makes use of Dark Fireballs and Hell Magic. Battle Magician is a melee-type magician that uses magic-reinforced staff wielding.
- Elemental Master uses the magic of the Four Elements(Fire, Water, Earth, Air) combined with other elements(Lightning, poison, ice, etc.).Void Princess makes a contract with a devil named "Angkor" making use of Devil Magic and Hell lasers in addition to her original dark magic. Dimension Witch can control space and time by the use of "Moon Stone".
Rena the Ranger (Archer)
- Her first class changes are Combat Ranger, Sniping Ranger and Trapping Ranger. Her second class changes are Wind Sneaker, Grand Archer, and Night Watcher.
- Combat Ranger specializes on martial combat, in addition to her archery magic. Sniping Ranger specializes on Archery, capable of marking targets and quick-shooting. Trapping Ranger makes use of traps and melee attacks with a legendary sword named "Erendil".
- Wind Sneaker combines the magic used to create energy arrows with their martial arts to boost the user's power and speed, as they have reached their limits. Grand Archer reaches a Master-level Archery sniping enemies with a hail of arrows, capable of piercing metals when strong and a soundless arrow when swift. Night Watcher uses an moonstone-strengthened Erendil, which was strengthened after her battle with the revived King Nasod.
Raven the Taker (Berserker)
- His first class changes are Sword Taker, Over Taker, and Weapon Taker. His second class changes are Blade Master, Reckless Fist, and Veteran Commander.
- Sword Taker chooses to specialize in swordsmanship rather than his left Nasod Arm, in fear that his Nasod Arm will overtake him. Over Taker chooses to upgrade his Nasod Arm despite the risks of being able to be taken over. Weapon Taker makes use of the "Overheat" system, which can strengthen his own attacks and his Nasod Fireballs at the cost of his own life.
- Blade Master seals his Nasod Arm completely and uses only his sword, reaching a master swordsmanship level. Reckless Fist uses a Limit-Enhanced Nasod Arm with reckless power, but is already in its limits of being mentally stable and starts to lose his own consciousness. Veteran Commander upgrades his "Overheat" System and strengthens his Nasod Arm, which was in the brink of its destruction due to an overuse of Overheat.
Eve the Another Code (Mechanic)
- Her first class changes are Code:Exotic, Code:Architecture, and Code:Electra. Her second class changes are Code:Nemesis, Code:Empress, and Code:Battle Seraph.
- Code:Exotic modifies her to a battle-type, as she was originally a worker-type and was not suited for battle. Code:Architecture modifies herself and changes herself to a mini-core, capable of producing additional Nasods, and creates "Oberon", her first servant. Code:Electra strengthens her Electron powers and reduces the use of her limited El-energy, being able to use powerful :Electron attacks with little El-energy.
- Code:Nemesis changes her to a "Nasod's Queen of Destruction", combining Electron Metal weapons and Electron Energy with the brute force of the destruction code. Code:Empress creates an additional servant named "Ophelia", combining Oberon and Ophelia's attacks to make an infinite combo. Code:Battle Seraph unlocks a hidden code made by the King Nasod, multiplying her powers, but at the risk of temporarily disabling her "Emotion Control Device".
Chung the Guardian (Shooter, Cannon Blaster)
- His first class changes are Fury Guardian, Shooting Guardian, and Shelling Guardian. His second class changes are Iron Paladin, Deadly Chaser, and Tactical Trooper.
- Fury Guardian upgrades his cannon "Destroyer" to make more powerful shots. Shooting Suardian makes use of a gun named "Silver Shooter", as he felt that the use of his heavy cannon can make openings. Shelling Guardian makes use of traps, bombs, and specialized cannonballs in addition to the Destroyer.
- Iron Paladin upgrades Destroyer to its limit, destroying enemies in a single blast. Deadly Chaser makes use of two Silver Shooters, as having just one still made openings. Tactical Trooper makes additional changes to his "Shells", combining El-energy crystals to his Cannon Shells.
Ara the Spearman (Martial Artist)
- Her first class changes are currently Little Hsien and Little Devil. Her second class changes are Sakra Devanam and Yama Raja. Her third choice of first and second class changes are still unavailable. Ara's second class changes might be unavailable at some countries.
- Little Hsien is a title given to her by the villagers, as some heroes are gives names for their deeds. Little Devil is a title given to her because she makes use of the Devil's powers in addition to her "Ki".
- Sakra Devanam is a title obtained after she mastered her use of "Ki". Yama Raja literally means "Devil Queen", as she was able to defeat a Full-Blooded Devil with her own.
Elesis the Free Knight (a Knight unbound by the rules of the kingdom, in this case, Velder)
- Her first class changes are Saber Knight and Pyro Knight. Her second class changes are Grand Master and Blazing Heart. Her Third choice of first and second class changes are still unavailable. Elesis' might be not available at some countries.
- Saber Knight uses specialized swordsmanship, but she still retains some of her flame powers. Pyro Knight Strengthens the use of fireball magic, but is an irregular-shaped flame, unlike Elsword's Magic Knight.
- Grand Master is a Master of Swordsmanship, capable of battling a Veldar Kingdom's Lord Knight in an 1 on 1 battle. Blazing Heart uses a magician-level flame magic.
There are different types of skills available in Elsword. You can choose different types of skills as you level up. There are mainly Six types of Skills: Passive, Active, Buff, Special Active, Sealed Skills, and Hyper Active.
Passive is a skill that is always on effect after obtaining it. It will be on effect without any mana cost as long as the conditions are met.
Active is a skill that requires some mana to activate it. It usually does not have a very strong damage so the mana cost and the cooldown is very low. Mana cost ranges from 5~50 and cooldown ranges from 1~10.
Buff is a skill that gives you and your allies a special effect or a power boost for a limited time when activated. It's activation can be easily interrupted, so it has a very short cooldown. However, the buff usually gives a huge advantage to a side, so the mana cost is relatively high. Mana cost ranges from 50~80, cooldown ranges from 10~30 and buff duration ranges from 5~30.
Special Active is a skill that has a special skill image when activated. The damage is relatively powerful, so it has a very high mana cost. Also, most Special Actives cannot be used as a combo, but there are some that can. If a Special Active is interrupted, its mana will not be refunded and its cooldown will start, but its interruption chance is very low. Mana cost ranges from 50~300 and cooldown ranges from 5~30
Sealed Skills are a type of skills that require completing a quest to be unlocked. After completing the quest, the NPC gives you a skill unlocking book that can unlock a certain type of Sealed Skill. Due to this down side, they usually are stronger than most skills. Sealed Skills, when unlocked, becomes a Passive, Active or a Special Active.
Hyper Active is the strongest skill in the game. They require being a level 65 or higher to unlock, and is a Sealed Skill. To unlock the Hyper Active, you need to complete a quest and obtain "The Ultimate Skill Book". The Hyper Actives may decrease an enemy player's life to half or even cause a One-Hit Kill when landed successfully. However, they deplete the user's mana completely(Maximum mana for a player is 300 and Hyper Active requires 300 mana) and always has a 180 second cooldown, even if you have a cooldown reducing buff or a mana cost reducing buff. The only character that has an exception of the mana depleting rule is Aisha, who has a Maximum Mana Increasing Passive Skill.
Player vs. Environment
Players traverse the land of Elrios, defeating enemies and leveling-up to unlock new job classes and skills. As players explore the world they travel to eight unique regions, each containing a "hub" town and around 6 dungeons. In towns, players can receive quests from NPCs, purchase items, and interact with other players. Dungeons are instanced, offering co-op play for up to four players at a time. Some dungeons feature branching paths, light puzzle-solving, and interactive elements such as collapsing buildings. The game also features a number of special dungeons. In all there presently 60 different levels.
There are eight different playable characters to date, though only 6 are available on NA servers. Each has three different job class paths they can choose from starting at level 15. Exceptions are the newest characters, Ara and Elsword's older sister Elesis (Both unavailable on NA Servers). Ara has had two first and second job class paths revealed, and Elesis now also has two first and second job class paths revealed. Each job class path offers specialization in a different play style along with unique skills.
Player vs. Player
Player vs. player(PvP) takes place in special sparring and arena arenas designed for different numbers of players. Up to eight players can brawl at the same time. Both "survival mode" meaning everyone vs. everyone and "team" modes are available with team battles supporting up to 4 vs. 4. Servers have the option to fight 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, and 3 vs. 3 matches. However, South Korean and North American servers, along with others, are in the process or have already removed the 2 vs. 2
The Elsword plot involves a mystical land named Elrios which was nurtured to life through the power of gem known as the El Stone. When the El Stone is stolen, Elsword and his allies go on a quest to recover it and bring the thieves to justice. Along the way, new allies join his team, now known as the "El Search Party". While this story ties the eight regions of the world together, each region also has multiple subplots that unfold as players complete the dungeons in that region. In addition, each character has a personal story that is told as they level up and select their job class path.
These are characters which the players may play, and advance their classes and develop their skills accordingly.
- Voiced by: Jeong Yu Mi (Korean), Kenichi Suzumura (Japanese)
- Elsword, is an ambitious but hot headed young swordsman, trained by the commander of the Crimson Knights, his sister Elesis. Elesis left her little brother to lead a mission, never to return. Elsword is the leader of the El search party and is now searching the land for two things; El, the precious gems that power his kingdom, and his missing sister.
- Voiced by: Rhee Ji-yeong (Korean), Rie Kugimiya (Japanese)
- Aisha was already a mage of the highest order at the tender age of 12 until a ring of sinister power absorbed her abilities. Intelligent and brash, she joined the El search party and once again starts her journey to relearn all that she lost and to find the ring that stole her powers.
- Voiced by: Jeong Mi-sook (Korean), Yui Horie (Japanese)
- Rena is an elf living in the mortal world. Her place in this world is jeopardized by the weakening of El, the power gems that energize everything including the connection to her home world. If this power fades the ties that bind the two planes will vanish as will Rena herself. She joined the El search party and uses her abilities as a Ranger to protect the El and her friends.
- Voiced by: Bak Seong Tae (Korean), Mamoru Miyano (Japanese)
- Raven is a fellow commoner from the Kingdom of Velder who rejected the idea of nobles and aristocrats. However, he was still proud of his kingdom, and thus worked hard to become the Captain of the Crow Mercenary Knights. Being a commoner in such a high-ranking position, he caused jealousy among the nobles. He was later framed by his friend and sentenced to prison. His friends, comrades, and fiancée(Seris) rescued him and hid within the forest in the outskirts of Velder. It did not take long before they were all surrounded by Velder soldiers and slaughtered one by one. Everything that Raven cared for and loved was stripped away from him, right before his very eyes. Just then, a figure appeared before him offered Raven a contract, for rebirth and power, he would conquer Velder and have revenge on the ones who caused his suffering, Raven agreed. Reborn with a prototype Nasod claw, he becomes the leader of the Velder Rebellion and blindly fights to destroy the kingdom he once protected, until he met a crew of young, ambitious heroes who reminded him of his duty. In atonement for his sins, he decides to join Elsword and his friends in the El search party on a new life adventure of finding the missing El.
- Voiced by: Woo Jeong Shin (Korean), Mamiko Noto (Japanese)
- Eve, an upper-class Nasod, was once called 'The Little Queen of Nasods' when Humans and Nasod coexisted in Ancient Elrios. The times were peaceful and they worked side by side with their creators. However, the reign of prosperity was fleeting, as the power of El began to weaken. Nasod civilization declined without its power source. They sought help from the Humans, but they were denied help, and the war of Nasod and Humans began. Years passed with the Humans winning the ancient war but at the same time diminishing the El's power. Only a few ancient Nasods survived the war and made it back into their preservation capsules. For thousands of years, Eve was preserved in her capsule unit to avoid the catastrophe until an El fragment accidentally flew into it. Eve woke up to only find out that she was stranded alone in this new present time. She gathered her remaining energy and ancient knowledge and joined the El search party to revive King Nasod and the Nasod race as the last Nasod in the world. After all, a queen cannot be without a king and Eve understood that best.
- Members of the Seiker family are known protectors of Hamel City, the capital of Senace Kingdom. It is to this name that Chung was born. Widely known as Prince Seiker, Chung was trained for combat from his early years. When Senace Kingdom came under attack, his father devoted himself to defending it. Unfortunately, the demon possessed him, causing him to lose all control of his own body, and the noble fighter unwittingly came to lead the enemies to attack Hamel. The Prince tried to hold his father to try and stop him, but got seriously wounded by him. With the help of Elsword and his friends, Chung escapes the battlefield and is on the way to recovering from his wounds. Meanwhile, most parts of Senace are now occupied by the demons. He then decides to leave Hamel to the Crimson Knights and go with Elsword and his friends in the El search party to train and become stronger than ever. He swears to himself that he will not use the Seiker name and will call himself Chung until he returns to save Hamel and take the Water El back from the demons.
- Voiced by: Yeo Min-jeong (Korean), Satomi Satō (Japanese)
- Ara is the daughter of the Haan Family, a warrior family that protected the seal of the Nine-Tailed-Fox for generations. At first glance, Ara looks like a kind and polite girl, but because of her family's influence, she is actually a highly skilled martial artist and spear wielder. Her brother, Aren Haan, began his training early and was able to become strong enough to become the Defense Captain of Fahrmann's capital. On one night, the village Ara had lived in had been attacked by an army of demons. Ara tried her best to fight back, but was outnumbered and cornered. In the destruction, Ara fell into a room containing a mysterious altar. A large hairpin that was pinned to the altar was thrown across the floor. Ara is approached by her brother, Aren, who is now Ran, the demon general who had led the invasion. Aren, who had inherited his strong spirit from the moon, had been corrupted and reborn as Ran due to the Dark El contaminating the moon's power. Ran had conquered Fahrmann's capital and led his army to retrieve the village's El-fragment.
- As Ran is about to kill Ara, the last survivor, she instinctively protected herself with the hairpin on the floor. The pin unleashed a powerful light and Ara fell unconscious. When she woke, Ara found herself alone in center of the village. The nine tailed fox had possessed her and fought the demons back. Ara then hears the spirit's voice, Eun, who had been sealed in the pin for centuries. Eun makes a contract with Ara, she will lend Ara her power and help her find her brother, Aren. In exchange, Ara has to help Eun find the power of the Elstone. Ara accepts, and they go on their journey to search for Aren.
- The duo arrives to Hamel after hearing of the demon invasion there, but Ara is too late and can only find traces of the demons. After searching, Ara comes across the ElTeam, who mistakes her for another demon. After the misunderstanding, Elsword tells Ara that they already had fought the demons and that Ran had escaped from the Water Temple. He offers Ara to travel with him and his team, as they may come across Ran again. Ara agrees, joining in hopes of finding her brother as well as the Elstone to fulfill her contract with Eun.
- Voiced by: Yoon Yuh Jin (Korean), Marina Inoue (Japanese)
- Elesis is strong willed but is prone to acting before talking. She would do anything as long as it's for her younger brother, Elsword, and cares deeply for him. Elesis's sword skills were passed down to her from her father who is a retired Velder Kingdom Knight, and she has shown extraordinary proficiency in fighting with a sword. Elesis had predicted the approaching demons that would bring danger to the continent, and as a result, she joins the Velder Knights to stop the demon invasion in order to protect Elrios and her younger brother. Elesis is the only Playable Character that is not in the El search party.
These are the more notable non-playable characters that the players may encounter in their gameplay.
- Voiced by: Hideki Ogihara (Japanese)
- The Chief of the Red Knights is very diligent and dedicated to safeguarding Hamel.
- Voiced by: Yōsuke Akimoto (Japanese)
- Aspiring to become the best blacksmith in all of Elrios, he devotes himself to creating the best equipment. He has a quiet but cool vibe about him, and his seemingly ageless muscular body is admired by all the citizens. In Hamel, he is known as the "Flaming Horatio".
- Voiced by: Rei Matsuzaki (Japanese)
- Lucy has been all over the world collecting rare accessories. Her knowledge is second to none when it comes to accessories. With all the commotion going on in Hamel, she thought it would be a good opportunity to collect some rare ancient accessories from the town.
- Voiced by: Shinya Fukumatsu (Japanese)
- An otter alchemist who possesses the knowledge and alchemy insights beyond human limitation. His curiosity often causes big and small accidents, yet he's always very calm about it.
- Voiced by: Miyu Matsuki (Japanese)
- Attendant from COBO, the largest adventure company. She gives out missions mostly related to actual events.
- Voiced by: Hitomi Harada (Japanese)
- Ariel's younger sister. Provides Banking Service for players. Bank Upgrades can be purchased from the Cash Shop, or received during events to increase the number of slots available for storing items.
- Voiced by: Yui Horie (Japanese)
There are a series of manhwa based on the game, published by Korean publisher Haksan Culture Company in a series of magazines called ElType. The magazines are created by KOG Studios, the creators of Elsword. They involve a main story in each magazine with short comic gags in the beginning and end. After the first four volumes had been released, the series went on a hiatus due to the main artist of Elsword leaving. Later on, KOG has created a short series of manhwas different from ElType, involving Chung and his transformation into his 2nd Job advancement.
ElType has been rebooted with a new team of artists during the release of Ara. The new title is now ElType Season 2. The first volume introduces Ara and her lore, along with numerous different short comics, each illustrated several different artists.
Official Guide Book
There is an official guide book (공식 가이드 북) for the game, released on 8 October 2010.
Relationships with Grand Chase
Elsword was originally a reboot of Grand Chase, another MMORPG created by KOG Studios. The two games shared many similarities, such as Elsword, Aisha, and Rena formerly named Elesis, Arme, and Lire, respectively, who were few of the main characters of Grand Chase. The obvious identical traits (such as the aforementioned) were scrapped when Elsword came out of beta testing as the two games were hosted by different companies. However, there are still many similarities between the two games, such as similar skill systems, names, character stories, traits, and monsters.
- "「ELSWORD」，メインキャラクターの声に鈴村健一さんや釘宮理恵さん，堀江由衣さんなど。" (in Japanese). 4Gamer.net.
- "「ELSWORD」新キャラクター「ラシェ」のCVに沢城みゆきさん起用を発表" (in Japanese). 4Gamer.net.
- "「ELSWORD」新キャラクター「ラシェ」のCVに沢城みゆきさん起用を発表" (in Japanese). 4Gamer.net.
- "「ELSWORD」，スキルのバランス調整や新コマンドが追加されるスキルリニューアルが実施。新キャラクター「アラ・ハーン」のティザーサイトも公開" (in Japanese). 4Gamer.net.