Enterprise Unified Process
The Enterprise Unified Process (EUP) is an extended variant of the Rational Unified Process and was developed by Scott W. Ambler and Larry Constantine in 2000, eventually reworked in 2005 by Ambler, John Nalbone and Michael Vizdos.
EUP was introduced to overcome some shortages of RUP, namely the lack of system support and eventual retirement of a software system. So two phases and several new disciplines were added to the RUP.
EUP sees software development not as a standalone activity, but embedded in the lifecycle of the system (to be built or enhanced or replaced), the IT lifecycle of the enterprise and the organization/business lifecycle of the enterprise itself. It deals with software development as seen from the customer's point of view.
The Unified Process defines four project phases
To these EUP adds two additional phases
The Rational Unified Process defines nine project disciplines
- Business Modeling
- Analysis and Design
- Configuration and Change Management
- Project Management
To these EUP adds one additional project discipline
and seven enterprise disciplines
- Enterprise Business Modeling
- Portfolio Management
- Enterprise Architecture
- Strategic Reuse
- People Management
- Enterprise Administration
- Software Process Improvement
Best Practices of EUP 
The EUP provide following best practices:-
- Develop iteratively
- Manage requirements
- Proven architecture
- Continuously verify quality.
- Manage change
- Collaborative development
- Look beyond development.
- Deliver working software on a regular basis
- Manage risk
See also 
- Scott W. Ambler's website on the Enterprise Unified Process
- Rational Unified Process
- Software development process
- Extreme programming
- See Ramsin(2008) and Ambler et al. (2005) for details on history of EUP
- Ambler et al (2005) p.7
- Ambler, Scott W.; Constantine, Larry L. (2000), The unified process inception phase: best practices in implementing the UP, Focal Press, ISBN 978-1-929629-10-7
- Ambler, Scott W.; Constantine, Larry L. (2000), The unified process elaboration phase: best practices in implementing the UP, Focal Press, ISBN 978-1-929629-05-3
- Ambler, Scott W.; Constantine, Larry L. (2000), The unified process construction phase: best practices for completing the unified process, Focal Press, ISBN 978-1-929629-01-5
- Ambler, Scott W.; Constantine, Larry L. (2002), The Unified process transition and production phase, Focal Press, ISBN 978-1-57820-092-4
- Ambler, Scott W; Nalbone, John; Vizdos, Michael J (2005), The Enterprise Unified Process : extending the Rational Unified Process, Prentice Hall PTR, ISBN 978-0-13-191451-3
- Ramsin, Raman (2008). "Process-centered review of object oriented software development methodologies". ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) (Association of Computing Machinery ACM) 40 (1): 1–89. doi:10.1145/1322432.1322435.