|Born||citation needed]October 26, 1956 [|
|Institutions||National Center for Biotechnology Information|
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
Eugene V. Koonin (born October 26, 1956) is a Senior Investigator at the National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA . He is a recognised expert in the field of evolutionary and computational biology.
Koonin gained a Master of Science in 1978 and a PhD in 1983 in Molecular Biology from Department of Biology, Moscow State University, Moscow, USSR. He conducted research in Computational Biology at the Institute of Poliomyelitis and Institute of Microbiology, Moscow (USSR) in 1985-1991. He has worked at the NCBI since 1991 and is Editor of Genome Analysis section in Trends in Genetics. Koonin has an Erdős number of 2.
Principal research goals:
- Comparative analysis of sequenced genomes and automatic methods for genome-scale annotation of gene functions.
- Application of comparative genomics for phylogenetic analysis, reconstruction of ancestral life forms and building large-scale evolutionary scenarios.
- Mathematical modeling of genome evolution.
- Computational study of the major transitions in the evolution of life, such as the origin of eukaryotes.
- Evolution of eukaryotic signaling and developmental pathways from the comparative-genomic perspective.
- Testing fundamental predictions of the theory of evolution using genome-wide sequence comparison.
- Eugene V. Koonin (23 June 2011). The Logic of Chance: The Nature and Origin of Biological Evolution. FT Press. ISBN 978-0-13-262317-9. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/CBBresearch/Koonin/ Koonin's page at the National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Lander, Eric S.; Linton, M.; Birren, B.; Nusbaum, C.; Zody, C.; Baldwin, J.; Devon, K.; Dewar, K. et al. (Feb 2001). "Initial sequencing and analysis of the human genome". Nature 409 (6822): 860–921. doi:10.1038/35057062. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 11237011.
- Koonin, E. V. (2011). "Are There Laws of Genome Evolution?". In Bourne, Philip E. PLoS Computational Biology 7 (8): e1002173. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002173.
- Koonin, E. V. (2007). "The Biological Big Bang model for the major transitions in evolution". Biology Direct 2: 21. doi:10.1186/1745-6150-2-21. PMC 1973067. PMID 17708768.
- Koonin, E. V.; Senkevich, T. G.; Dolja, V. V. (2006). "The ancient Virus World and evolution of cells". Biology Direct 1: 29. doi:10.1186/1745-6150-1-29. PMC 1594570. PMID 16984643.