Hardcover English 1st ed.
|Translator||Amanda Mayer Stinchecum|
|Cover artist||Tarō Gomi|
Kagaku no Tomo Kessaku-shū in Japan,
|Genre||Children's non-fiction literature|
|Publisher||Kane/Miller (Eng. trans)|
|January 17, 1977|
Published in English
|March 1, 1993|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover & Paperback)|
|ISBN||ISBN 978-0-916291-45-7 (first English edition, hardcover)|
Everyone Poops is the title of US editions of the English translation (by Amanda Mayer Stinchecum) of Minna Unchi (みんなうんち?), a Japanese children's book written and illustrated by the prolific children's author Tarō Gomi and first published in Japan by Fukuinkan Shoten in 1977 within the series Kagaku no Tomo Kessaku-shū (かがくのとも傑作集?, i.e. Masterpieces of the friends of science).
The English translation has been published in the US by Kane/Miller, within the series "My Body Science", and by Scholastic. In Britain, the book is titled Everybody Poos and is published by Frances Lincoln.
The book tells children that all animals defecate, and that they have always done so.
The book has also been translated into both Spanish and Thai.
Everyone Poops is essentially plotless. The first sixteen pages contain various prompts regarding defecation in animals such as opposites ("An elephant makes a big poop" and "[a] mouse makes a tiny poop"), comparisons (that various species produce various sizes and shapes of poop) and questions ("What does whale poop look like?").
On the seventeenth page, a nameless boy with black overalls and a red shirt is introduced, seen running into a bathroom. The book then goes on to explain how people of all ages, from adult to very young child, defecate, and how infants may use diapers. After that, there are only three more illustrations that do not feature the boy. On the next page of the book, the child uses toilet paper and flushes the toilet. The final portion of the book explains that because every animal eats, it must therefore defecate, and the book ends with rear views of the boy and six different animals defecating and the words "Everyone Poops".
It was acquired by Kane/Miller in 1993. Kane/Miller was later bought by Educational Development Corporation. Everyone Poops is the best-known title sold by the company. In 2012, Educational Development Corporation stopped selling books, including this one, on Amazon.com. This book is sold in the U.S. through traditional bookstores such as Barnes and Noble and on the party plan by independent booksellers.
- (Japanese) Minna Unchi (みんなうんち). Kagaku no Tomo Kessaku-shū (かがくのとも傑作集). Tokyo: Fukuinkan Shoten (福音館書店), 1977. For later printings, ISBN 4-8340-0848-7. 28 pages in Japanese edition.
- Everyone Poops. Trans. Amanda Mayer Stinchecum. My Body Science. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Kane/Miller, 1993. ISBN 0-916291-45-6.
- Everyone Poops. Trans. Amanda Mayer Stinchecum. La Jolla: Kane/Miller, 2001. ISBN 1-929132-14-X. New York: Scholastic, 2004. ISBN 0-439-72659-X.
- Everybody Poos. Trans. Amanda Mayer Stinchecum. London: Frances Lincoln, 2002. ISBN 0-7112-2046-8. London: Frances Lincoln, 2004. ISBN 1-84507-258-8
- (Spanish) Todos hacemos caca. Trans: Leopoldo Iribarren. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Kane/Miller, 1997. ISBN 0-916291-77-4
- (Thai) ʻƯ. Krung Thēp: Samnakphim Phrǣo Phư̄an Dek, 1995. ISBN 974-89200-0-3. Krungthēp: ʻAmmarin, 2003. ISBN 974-247-036-7.
- Toilet training
- The Gas We Pass
- What's Your Poo Telling You?
- The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business
- "Everyone Poops, My Body Science Series, Taro Gomi, Book". Barnes & Noble. 2009. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
- Gomi 1993, pp. 1–16
- Gennari, Jennifer. "Book Review: Everyone Poops". Disney Family Entertainment. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- Gomi 1993, pp. 18–19
- Gomi 1993, pp. 20–22
- Gomi 1993, p. 23
- Gomi 1993, p. 18
- Gomi 1993, pp. 24–27
- 「みんなうんち」 (in Japanese). EhonNavi. 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "About Fukuinkan Shoten". Fukuinkan Shoten. 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- Evatt, Robert (21 June 2014). "Educational Development Corporation succeeds despite Amazon". Tulsa World.
- 福音館書店｜みんなうんち (in Japanese). Fukuinkan.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- My Body Science, Kane Miller