F. Stuart Chapin III
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
F. Stuart Chapin III is a professor of Ecology at the Department of Biology and Wildlife of the Institute of Arctic Biology, University of Alaska. He was President of the Ecological Society of America (ESA) from August 2010 until 2011.
Born February 2, 1944, F. Stuart Chapin is better known to students and colleagues as 'Terry.' Chapin also serves as principal investigator of the Bonanza Creek Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) program, and has a background in plant physiological ecology and ecosystem ecology. His current research interests focus on the resilience of social-ecological systems. As director of the graduate educational program in Resilience and Adaptation at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Chapin studies human-fire interactions in the boreal forest. As President of ESA, he plans to address the "critical issue" of planetary stewardship. With Mary Power and Steward Pickett, Chapin is leading a Planetary Stewardship initiative “whose goal is to reorient society toward a more sustainable relationship with the biosphere.”
|1966||BA in Biology, Swarthmore College|
|1966–1968||Visiting Instructor in Biology (Peace Corps) Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá, Colombia|
|1973||Ph.D. in Biological Sciences, Stanford University|
|1973–1984||Assistant/Assoc. Professor, University of Alaska Fairbanks|
|1981–1983||Assistant Director, Institute of Arctic Biology, University of Alaska Fairbanks|
|1984–1989||Professor, University of Alaska Fairbanks|
|1989–1998||Professor of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley|
|1996-||Professor, University of Alaska Fairbanks|
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 1979–1980
- Kempe Award for Distinguished Ecologists, 1996
- Hill Professor, 1995 (Univ. of Minnesota)
- Member-Ecology Institute (Germany) 1986-
- Usibelli Award (top researcher in all fields; Univ. of Alaska) 2000
- Fellow of the American Academy for the Advancement of Science 2000
- Member Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry 2000
- Outstanding faculty member, Univ. of Alaska (selected by students) 2002
- Fellow of American Academy of Arts and Sciences 2002
- Member National Academy of Sciences 2004
- Oosting lecture, Duke Univ. 2004. US Forest Service Wilderness Research Award on behalf of the Resilience and Adaptation Program.
- Sustainability Science Award, 2008 (F. Stuart Chapin, III and Colleagues). Ecological Society of America
- Ecological Society of America (ESA) website, retrieved January 10, 2012.
- Ecological Society of America, press release dated September 23, 2010, retrieved January 26, 2011.
- ESA Urban Ecology Section newsletter June 2010, retrieved January 26, 2011.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter C". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 13 April 2011.