Fitchburg (MBTA station)
Fitchburg Station platform looking inbound
|Address||100 Main Street
|Connections||Montachusett Regional Transit Authority
Wachusett Mountain Shuttle Bus (Winter only)
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Parking||400 spaces ($3.00/day or $50.00/month)|
|Passengers (2009)||462 (weekday inbound average) 5%|
Fitchburg is the terminal passenger rail station on the MBTA Commuter Rail Fitchburg Line, located at 100 Main Street in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, adjacent to the Montachusett Regional Transit Authority's Intermodal Center with its 400-space parking garage. At 49.6 miles from North Station, Fitchburg is the outermost MBTA station in Massachusetts; only Wickford Junction and T.F. Green Airport in Rhode Island are further afield.
After having closed in 1965 due to lapsed subsidies, Fitchburg reopened in 1980 as part of an extension of the line from South Acton to Gardner. Fitchburg has been the outer terminus of Fitchburg Line service since Gardner closed in 1987, but Wachusett will become the new terminus when it opens in 2014. The still-extant 1980 station - a short stretch of bare asphalt - was replaced by the modern handicapped-accessible station around 2002.
- Montachusett Regional Transit Authority offers bus service connecting Fitchburg, Gardner, Leominster, and weekday shuttle service to Worcester, including stops at area hospitals.
- During winter months there is a shuttle bus that connects the MBTA "ski train" to the Wachusett Mountain Ski Area.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics". Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2010. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Belcher, Jonathan (23 March 2013). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Ski Train To Wachusett". Wachusett Mountain Ski Area. 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-30.
Media related to Fitchburg (MBTA station) at Wikimedia Commons
|This Massachusetts train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|