|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|• Territory Administrator||M. Mulenge Ayunwe Kibalo|
|• Total||41,745 km2 (16,118 sq mi)|
Fizi is a territory in the South of Sud-Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo, bordering the South Kivu territories of Uvira, Mwenga and Shabunda to the North, Lake Tanganyika in the East, and the provinces Katanga in the South and Maniema in the West.
The predominant language in the territory is Kibembe
The Fizi Territory is located in the South of the province, on the shore of Lake Tanganyika.
Collectivities within the Fizi territory include
Baraka is the main town of Fizi Territory, composed of three municipalities (Baraka, Katanga and Kalundja). Since 1892, she became the first entity to the urban model in the province of South Kivu.
The region has had a long history of independence from Kinshasa. It was the location of the maquis set up by Laurent-Désiré Kabila in 1967, as well as the birthplace of his son and current President Joseph Kabila. Throughout much of the Second Congo War, the town was disputed by numerous armed groups.
Fizi Territory is represented in the National Assembly by three deputies:
Notes and references
- Radio Okapi, accessed September 2009
- "Anatomy & History of the Zaire-Congo Crises" by Georges Nzongola-Ntalaja, usafricaonline.com, 19 November 1996
- "Background Brief on the Current Situation in Kivu", IRIN, 10 September 1997 (hosted by africaaction.org); "Thousands of civilians victims of atrocities in the DRC", Amnesty International, 23 November 1998; and "DR Congo: Complex Emergency Situation Report #4 (FY 2004)", United States Agency for International Development, 20 August 2004 (hosted by reliefweb.int)
- Territoire de Fizi-Itombwe ou le pays de Babembe, fizi-itombwe.com (French)
- Rapport de L'Atelier de Reflexion sur les Resources Locales et la Dynamique du Developpement Rural Dans Le Territoire de Fizi - Itombwe, report of seminar held 19-21 February 2006 (French)
|This Democratic Republic of the Congo location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|