|Archbishop, Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins|
|Appointed||8 September 2005 (Coadjutor)|
|Installed||22 June 2008|
|Ordination||29 June 1966|
|Consecration||22 July 1992
by Michel Sabbah
23 October 1940 |
|Motto||paratum cor meum|
|Coat of arms|
Patriarch Fouad Twal
|Reference style||His Beatitude|
|Spoken style||Your Beatitude|
Fouad Twal (Arabic: البطريرك فؤاد طوال) (born 23 October 1940 in Madaba, Jordan) is the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem since June 2008. He is also the Grand Prior of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem and serves as the President for the Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land.
He was ordained to the priesthood on 29 June 1966. After his ordination he was the vicar of Ramallah. In 1972 he entered the Pontifical Lateran University where he studied for a doctorate in canon law. He was awarded his doctorate in 1975. He was appointed the prelate of the territorial prelature of Tunis by Pope John Paul II on 30 May 1992. He was consecrated to the episcopate on 22 July later that year with principal consecrator Patriarch Michel Sabbah. On 31 May 1995, the territorial prelature was elevated to become the Diocese of Tunis, and Twal was made an archbishop ad personam. In 2005, Pope Benedict XVI named him the coadjutor archbishop of Jerusalem. He succeeded Michel Sabbah as the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem on 21 June 2008 and enthroned at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem on 22 June.
In 2008, he explained his understanding of the situation of Israel and the Palestinian Territories and their people: "We receive a lot of help and we are grateful but at the same time we say we need more. What we need is peace. We don’t only want to be a begging Church, we don't want to be beggars with a licence. I don't like this. We need a political horizon, it's time to put an end to the Wall, the Checkpoints, it's time for a Palestinian State, it's time for an end to our problems with visas."
- Grand Prior of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
- President ex officio of the Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land
- President ex officio of the Conference of Latin Bishops of the Arab Regions
- member, Council of Catholic Patriarchs of the East
- member of the following dicastery of the Roman Curia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fouad Twal.|
- Cheney, David M. "Patriarch Fouad Twal". Bishops. catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Government of the Order". The Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem in Ireland. Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre, Lieutenancy of Ireland. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Cheney, David M. "Archdiocese of Tunis". All Dioceses. catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Pope Names Arch. Fouad Twal Patriarch of Jerusalem". Vatican Radio. 21 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- "His Beatitude Patriarch Fouad Twal". The Catholic Church of the Holy Land. Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Prelate of Tunis
|Bishop of Tunis
Maroun Elias Nimeh Lahham
|Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
2008 – present