Herrmann with the Cleveland Indians
May 30, 1984 |
Rutherford, New Jersey
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|June 4, 2010 for the Cleveland Indians|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.26|
Herrmann attended Montclair Kimberley Academy, where he played baseball, football, and basketball. He was one of the school's few thousand point scorers in basketball. In 2011 he was inducted into the MKA Athletic Hall of Fame.
Herrmann received his degree in economics from Harvard University in the fall of 2006. He is the fifteenth player to play in the majors after going to Harvard. Jeff Musselman had been the last. As a junior, he pitched a two-hitter against Yale and a one-hitter against Cornell.
Herrmann was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cleveland Indians. Beginning in 2006, Herrmann played in minor league baseball with the Lake County Captains, Kinston Indians, Akron Aeros, Buffalo Bisons and the Columbus Clippers.
With the Aeros in 2008, Herrmann made 23 starts and, with his 11–6 regular season record and helped lead the team to the 2008 Eastern League championship series.
Major League Baseball
Hermann made his major league debut with the Cleveland Indians June 4, 2010. In a game against the Chicago White Sox, he pitched 1.1 innings and gave up no hits, runs, or walks. He was credited with his first career hold, retiring all four batters he faced: Gordon Beckham, Juan Pierre, Omar Vizquel, and Alex Ríos. He struck out Vizquel for the first strikeout of his major league career.
On December 2, 2013, Herrmann signed a one-year deal with the Indians, avoiding arbitration. He was designated for assignment on March 30, 2014.
Column for The Harvard Crimson
The column functioned as a diary of his first year as a professional athlete. Though the editor's note before each article describes him as a "former Harvard" pitcher, the stories were written and published before he graduated from Harvard.
Hermann married Johanna Nicole Rangel at the Harvard Memorial Chapel on November 6, 2010.
- "Frank Herrmann Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights". Mlb.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Herrmann Makes the Major Leagues". Mka.org. June 4, 2010. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Harvard's Frank Herrmann Called Up To Cleveland Indians", GoCrimson.com
- "Cleveland Indians at Chicago White Sox - June 4, 2010". Mlb.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. 4 June 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Gleeman, Aaron (March 13, 2013). "Indians reliever Frank Herrmann out for the season after Tommy John surgery". NBCSports.com. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- Twitter / Indians: Also today the #Indians avoided arbitration with RHP Frank Herrmann and RHP Blake Wood, signing them to 2014 Major League contracts.
- "Frank Herrmann - Writer Profile - The Harvard Crimson". Thecrimson.com. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Da Clip Show: Keeping an Eye on the Tribe's AAA Squad - 6/8/2010". Waitingfornextyear.com. 8 June 2010. Retrieved 29 September 2012.