|Traded as||ASX: FLN|
680 George Street
Sydney, Australia, Australia
|Country of origin||Australia|
|Key people||Matt Barrie, CEO
Darren Williams, CTO
Neil Katz, CFO
David Harrison, Vice President of Engineering
Willix Halim, Vice President of Growth
|Industry||Freelance marketplace, Online outsourcing, Employment website|
|Employees||350 (Feb 2014)|
|Alexa rank||452 (April 2014[update])|
|Type of site||Freelance marketplace|
|Available in||English, German, French, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, Filipino, Dutch|
Freelancer is a global outsourcing marketplace, which allows potential employers to post jobs that freelancers can then bid to complete. Founded in 2009, its headquarters is located in Sydney, Australia, though it also has offices in Vancouver, London, Buenos Aires, Manila and Jakarta. On November 15, 2013, Freelancer Limited (Freelancer's holding company) listed on the Australian Securities Exchange with the ticker FLN.
Freelancer is a marketplace where employers and employees are able to find each other. The site allows employers to post work to get done. Anybody is then able to offer quotes to complete the project, upon which point the original employer is able to award the work.
Freelancer has different levels of membership. Free accounts can only bid on 8 projects per month and cannot make direct deposit withdrawals. Higher tiers of paid accounts get additional bids, direct deposit withdrawals, and other features. 
Freelancer takes a 10% fee from all projects for most levels of membership, with a minimum fee of $5. 
Freelancer uses a "rewards" system where freelancers earn XP for performing actions such as "Like us on Facebook"; by earning XP the user can "level up" his or her account and unlock rewards, including basic features such as being able to bid more times per month. However, only paid accounts actually get the benefits of these rewards.
Freelancer has acquired several outsourcing marketplaces including Get A Freelancer.com and EUFreelance.com (founded by Magnus Tibell in 2004, Sweden), LimeExchange (a former business of Lime Labs LLC, USA), Scriptlance.com (founded by Rene Trescases in 2001, Canada)- one of the early pioneers in freelancing, Freelancer.de Booking Center (Germany), Freelancer.co.uk (United Kingdom), Webmaster-talk.com (USA), a forum for webmasters, and vWorker (founded by Ian Ippolito, USA).
As of 8 January 2013, the company has set up 25 regional marketplaces with local language, customer service and currency support including the United States (Global), United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Philippines, India and Latin America. On 2 April 2014, Freelancer acquired Ukraine based digital content marketplace-Fantero.
- 2012 Deloitte Australia Technology Fast 50
- 2012 Silver Stevie Award, International Business Awards
- 2012 People's Voice Webby Award for Employment, 16th Annual Webby Awards
- 2011 Webby Award for Employment, People's Voice Award, 15th Annual Webby Awards
- 2011 BRW Fast Starters
- 2011 BRW Fast 100
- 2010 Best Export Achievement, People's Choice Award, 17th Annual AIMIA Awards
- 2010 Anthill Cool Company Awards: Best Online Business
- "Freelancer.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "About Freelancer.com". Freelancer.
- "News". Innovate it. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Crunchbase listing for LimeExchange.com".
- "Freelancer acquires Scriptlance.com - article on TechCrunch".
- "Freelancer Grows: Global Acquisitions Continue for Leading Job Market Website".
- "GoRumors Article covering Webmaster-talk.com".
- Lunden, Ingrid (November 19, 2012). "Freelancer Buys Another IT Job Site, vWorker (aka RentACoder.com), For A Price In The Millions". TechCrunch. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- , Gadgets Magazine
- ,Indiatimes.com "Website for freelance assignments launched in India"]. The Times Of India. 2012-02-09.
- , E27.sg
- , BNAmericas.
- , theaustralian.com.au "Freelancer acquires Fantero.com"]. TheAustralian. 2014-04-03.
- "Deloitte Australia Technology Fast 50".
- "Stevie Awards Site".
- "16th Annual Webby Awards".
- "15th Annual Webby Awards".
- "BRW Fast Starters 2011".
- "BRW Fast 100 2011".
- "17th AIMIA Award Winners".
- "2010 Anthill Cool Company Awards".