Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms
|Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms|
Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms is a fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), currently under development by video game developers Bigpoint and Artplant, in collaboration with HBO. The game is based on the HBO TV series, Game of Thrones, which is itself an adaptation of the A Song of Ice and Fire book series by George R. R. Martin.
The game was expected to be released in the fall of 2013. However, there has been no word on the current status of the game or whether it is still being developed. The release date is unknown.
Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms is set within the fictional realm of Westeros, and will use a third-person viewpoint. Gameplay will mainly be based around player vs player (PvP) combat, which will involve small group combat, one on one duels and siege battles, large scale battles in which players must capture keeps, forts and castles. Player vs Environment (PvE) combat will be available at launch, although this is not a major priority. Combat will be realtime, with movement controlled using the WASD keys.
Players will be able to come together to form guilds, known as lesser houses. Lesser houses align themselves with one of the three major houses in-game: Baratheon, Stark or Lannister. Solo play will be possible, although group play will be encouraged.
Players will be able to customize their characters by changing features such as hair and clothing.
History and development
Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms was announced in February 2012, with the first look being unveiled at the Game Developers Conference in March 2012. The first gameplay footage was shown in a trailer released on July 12, 2012.
The game is under development by German videogame developer Bigpoint, and Norwegian developer Artplant. The studios have previously worked together on Battlestar Galactica Online, another browser based multiplayer game.
The game is being made in collaboration with HBO. Everything put in game is reviewed by HBO in advance, and Bigpoint is working with the HBO design teams. The look and feel of the weapons and armour, for example, are straight from the show.
The game is being built on the Unity platform, and will be playable through web browsers using the Unity Web Player plugin. This means that the game will be playable on Mac and Windows platforms.
No news on the game was given throughout Season 2, Season 3, and Season 4. As of January 2015, over a year past its originally projected release date, the game is still in development hell. It seems probable that the game has been abandoned entirely: its official Twitter feed has not been updated since summer 2012 (for SDCC 2012), and by late November 2014 its official website went offline.
- "presents Game of Thrones MMORPG at Game Developers Conference". Bigpoint. 2012-02-29. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms (GoT) Interviews: Interview with Max Pfaff". MMORPG.com. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "Game of Thrones: From novel to TV series to MMO". VideoGamer.com. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "GDC 2012: Bigpoint discusses the Game of Thrones MMO | Massively". Massively.joystiq.com. 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- [dead link]
- "Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms MMO Official Trailer | Bigpoint HBO 2012". YouTube. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms (GoT) Previews: GDC 2012: Game of Thrones Goes Sandbox Warfare". MMORPG.com. 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2012-12-01.