Gates of Ishtar
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2007)|
|Gates of Ishtar|
|Genres||Melodic death metal|
|Associated acts||The Duskfall, Helltrain, Defleshed, Deathbound,|
|Past members||See below|
Gates of Ishtar was formed in late 1992 by Mikael Sandorf (vocals), Andreas Johansson (drums), Stefan Nilsson (guitar) and Harald Åberg (bass guitar). Eventually, the band recruited guitarist Tomas Jutenfäldt. During the band's rehearsal for their demo, Seasons of Frost, Harald coined the band's name, and Andreas designed the logo.
In May 1995, Seasons of Frost was recorded at Lucichrist studio. This demo led to the group's contract for its first full-length album on the Finnish label Spinefarm Records. In 1996, their debut album, A Bloodred Path was recorded in the Finnish studio Tico-Tico and released by Spinefarm in June. Due to the popular response to this album, and the band's dissatisfaction with Spinefarm Records, Gates of Ishtar switched to the German label Invasion Records. A contract for two full-length albums was signed, and the band started to work on their second album, The Dawn of Flames.
Before work on their second album began, Oskar and Niklas left the band due to personal disagreements with other band members. Henrik Åberg who was their live guitarist was recruited to play drums. Still missing a bass guitarist, Tomas asked an old friend, Danjel Röhr, to perform as a session musician for The Dawn of Flames. In early 1997, the band traveled to Örebro to record at Unisound studio. On March 25, 1997, the album was released worldwide.
- 1995 - Seasons of Frost (demo)
- 1996 - A Bloodred Path
- 1997 - The Dawn of Flames
- 1998 - At Dusk and Forever
Last known line-up
- Mikael Sandorf - vocals (1992-1998), vocals, guitars, bass (1998)
- Urban Carlsson - guitars (?-1998)
- Oskar Karlsson - drums (1992-1996, 1997-1998)
- Andreas Johansson - guitars (?-1997), drums (1992-?)
- Tomas Jutenfäldt - guitars (?-1997)
- Harald Aberg - bass (1992-?)
- Stefan Nilsson - guitars (1992-?)
- Niklas Svensson - bass (1994-1996)
- Danjel Röhr - bass (1996-1997)
- Henrik Åberg - drums (1996-1997)