Gibbs High School (Corryton, Tennessee)
|Gibbs High School|
|7628 Tazewell Pike
Corryton, Tennessee, 37721
|School district||Knox County Schools|
|NCES School ID||470222000741|
|Assistant principals||Denise McGaha, Scott Reed, Jeff Thomas|
|Number of students||1,200|
|Color(s)||Columbia Blue, Black, and White|
Gibbs High School is a public high school located in Corryton, Tennessee located at 7628 Tazewell Pike. The school was founded in 1913 in a two story brick building built on 12 acres which burned down in 1937. The second building burned down 13 years later in 1950. The third and current school is near the intersection of Tazewell Pike and East Emory Road. When the new Gibbs Elementary School opened across Tazewell Pike in 2007, the high school began using the old elementary school building as an on-site Career and Technical Education facility. Students can also take advantage of expanded career education course offerings at the North Knox Career and Technical Education Center located on the Halls High School campus 5 miles from the school. The current principal at Gibbs High School is Jason Webster. Assistant Principals are Denise McGaha, Scott Reed, and Jeff Thomas.
The school's mission statement is "To enable all students to achieve academic success based on established performance standards and students’ individual needs and abilities, by providing highly trained teachers, a nurturing environment and by partnering with parents and the community to ensure that a commitment to education continues outside the classroom."
- Eddie Smith[disambiguation needed], Tennessee State Representative for 13th District, graduated in 1997
- Kenny Chesney, country singer, graduated in 1986
- Stephen Hunley, country singer
- Phil Leadbetter, bluegrass guitarist
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Gibbs High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved Sep 8, 2013.
- "Google Directions". Google Maps. Google, Inc. Retrieved 09/08/2013. Check date values in:
- http://www.knoxschools.org, Administration
- http://www.knoxschools.org, Official Website
- "Eddie Smith".
- "Kenny Chesney". People.com. People Magazine. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Up and Coming: Stephen Hunley". Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Phil Leadbetter". sonifly.com. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
|This Tennessee school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|