Glines Canyon Dam
|Glines Canyon Dam|
Glines Canyon Dam
|Location||Olympic National Park, Clallam County, Washington, USA|
|Dam and spillways|
|Height||210 ft. (64 m)|
Glines Canyon Hydroelectric Power Plant
|Nearest city||Port Angeles, Washington|
|Area||7 acres (2.8 ha)|
|Architectural style||Other, Classical Revival, Neoclassical|
|MPS||Hydroelectric Power Plants in Washington State, 1890--1938 MPS|
|NRHP Reference #||88002742|
|Added to NRHP||December 15, 1988|
It was formerly located 13 miles (21 km) upstream from the mouth of the Elwha River, and impounded Lake Mills reservoir. The dam was demolished in 2014 as part of the Elwha River ecosystem restoration project.
Effects of dam on river habitat
Lacking passage for migrating salmon, Glines Canyon Dam blocked access by anadromous salmonids to the upper 38 miles (61 km) of mainstem habitat and more than 30 miles (48 km) of tributary habitat. The Elwha River watershed once supported salmon runs of more than 400,000 adult returns on more than 70 miles (110 km) of river habitat. By the early 21st-century, fewer than 4,000 adult salmon returned each year.
The Elwha River Ecosystem and Fisheries Restoration Act of 1992 authorized the US Federal Government to acquire the Elwha Dam and Glines Canyon Dam hydroelectric power projects for decommissioning and demolition for habitat restoration.
The Elwha Ecosystem Restoration project began removal of the dam, along with nearby Elwha Dam, in September 2011 and concluded on August 26, 2014. Now that the dam has been removed, the area that was under Lake Mills is being revegetated and its banks secured to prevent erosion and to speed up ecological restoration.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Upper Elwha Dam
- Grossman 2002, p. 155
- Grossman, Elizabeth (2002). Watershed: The Undamming of America, Basic Books, ISBN 1-58243-108-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glines Canyon Dam.|
- Glines Canyon Dam Removal Process - animation
- Glines Canyon Dam webcam and time lapse movie of removal project
- Demolition dam: Why dismantle a huge river barrier? - video
- NPS Elwha River Restoration