|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Key people||Adi Godrej (Chairman)
|Products||Real estate, FMCG, industrial engineering, Appliances, Furniture, Security, Agri care, and others|
|Revenue||21600 crore (US$3.3 billion)(2013) |
|Subsidiaries||GCPL, Godrej Infotech Ltd, Godrej Industries Ltd, Godrej Properties, Godrej Agrovet|
The Godrej Group is an Indian conglomerate headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, managed and largely owned by the Godrej family. It was founded by Ardeshir Godrej and Pirojsha Godrej in 1897, and operates in sectors as diverse as real estate, consumer products, industrial engineering, appliances, furniture, security and agricultural products. Subsidiaries and affiliated companies include Godrej Industries and its subsidiaries Godrej Consumer Products, Godrej Agrovet, and Godrej Properties, as well as the private holding company Godrej & Boyce.
The Godrej Group was founded in 1897, and has since evolved into one of the largest and the oldest conglomerates based in Mumbai, India, with a presence in varied industries, including appliances, precision equipment, machine tools, furniture, healthcare, interior solutions, office equipment, food-processing, security, materials handling and industrial storage solutions, construction and information technology. The Group is headed by Adi Godrej and his brother in law and cousin, Nadir Godrej and Jamshyd Godrej.
Traditionally, Vikhroli, a suburb to the Northeast of Mumbai has been Godrej's manufacturing base, but increasingly the group has moved significant production facilities away from Mumbai. The Godrej group also owns vast land in Vikhroli, occupying 3500 acres (14 km2) of land on both sides of the Vikhroli section of the LBS marg. That makes the Godrej group the biggest private land owner in Mumbai by far. Such vast land can, in theory, be used to create at least 1,500 acres (6.1 km2) of residential floor space, which, at very modest rates (Rs.10000/sq ft), can be sold for USD 16 billion. Thus, the Godrej group is sitting on an invisible cashpile that is an envy of other Indian conglomerates.and were the biggest company and we call them go.
- 1897 - Godrej is established in 1897
- 1902 - Godrej makes its first Indian Safe
- 1918 - Godrej Soaps Limited incorporated
- 1961- Godrej Started Manufacturing Forklift Trucks in India
- 1971- Godrej Agrovet Limited began as an Animal Feeds division of Godrej Soaps
- 1974 - Veg oils division in Wadala, Mumbai acquired
- 1990 - Godrej Properties Limited, another subsidiary, established
- 1991 - Foods business started
- 1994 - Transelektra Domestic Products acquired
- 1995 - Transelektra forged a strategic alliance with Sara Lee USA
- 1999 - Transelektra renamed Godrej Sara Lee Limited and incorporated Godrej Infotech Ltd.
- 2001 - Godrej Consumer Products was formed as a result of the demerger of Godrej Soaps Limited. Godrej Soaps renamed Godrej Industries Limited
- 2002 - Godrej Tea Limited set up
- 2003 - Entered the BPO solutions and services space with Godrej Global Solutions Limited
- 2004 - Godrej HiCare Limited set up to provide a Safe Healthy Environment to customers by providing professional pest management services
- 2006 - Foods business was merged with Godrej Tea and Godrej Tea renamed Godrej Beverages & Foods Limited
- 2007 - Godrej Beverages & Foods Limited formed a JV with The Hershey Company of North America and the company was renamed Godrej Hershey Foods & Beverages Limited
- 2008 - Godrej relaunched itself with new colourful logo and a fresh identity music
- 2010 - Godrej launched GoJiyo a free, browser based 3D virtual world
- 2011 - Godrej & Boyce shuts down its typewriter manufacturing plant, the last in the world.
Godrej has a philanthropic arm that has built schools, dispensaries and a residential complex for their employees. Trusts established by Godrej continue to invest in education, healthcare and upliftment of the underprivileged.
The Godrej group can be broadly divided into two major holding companies, working independently:
The Major Companies, subsidiaries and affiliates are
- Chemical & Commodities
- Godrej Industries
- Veg Oils
- Godrej Industries
- Godrej Consumer Products
- Keyline Brands UK
- Rapidol South Africa
- Godrej Global Mideast FZE
- Godrej SCA Hygiene Limited
- Godrej Hershey Foods & Beverages Limited
- Godrej Sara Lee
- Godrej Consumer Products
- Godrej Agrovet
- Animal Feeds
- Goldmohur Foods and Feeds
- Golden Feed Products
- Higashimaru Feed Products
- Oil Palm
- Agri Inputs
- Godrej Aadhaar
- Nature's Basket
- Integrated Poultry Business
- Plant Biotech
- Godrej Agrovet
- Godrej HiCare (Pest Management Services)
- Godrej Global Solutions (ITES)
- Godrej Properties
- In 1897, Godrej Introduced the first lock with lever technology in India.
- In 1902, Godrej made the first Indian safe.
- In 1920, Godrej made soap using vegetable oil, which was a huge hit with the vegetarian community in India
- In 1955, Godrej produced India's first indigenous typewriter
- In 1989, Godrej became the first company to introduce PUF ( Polyurethane Foam)
- Introduced India's first and only 100% CFC, HCFC, HFC free refrigerators (Claim to be validated)
- GCPL, the Highest Ranked Indian FMCG in Asia's Hot Growth Companies' List by Business Week
- Godrej Consumer Products Ltd. has been ranked 14th in The Best Companies to Work For study. This study was jointly conducted by Business Today, Mercer and Taylor Nelson Sofres (TNS)
- Godrej Consumer Products Ranks 6th in ET-Hewitt Best Employers of India survey
- GCPL ranked 15th in Great Places to Work 2006 survey
- The Corporate Citizen of the Year Award given by Economic Times.
- Flagship brands Goodknight, Cinthol and Ezee selected Superbrands by the Superbrands Council
- Godrej Sara Lee, the JV between the Godrej Group and Sara lee Corporation, USA is acknowledged the World's largest mat manufacturers and South Asia's largest manufacturers of Coils.
- Godrej Consumer Products Limited, adjudged as a Business Superbrand by the Super Brands Council.
- The Return on Capital Employed and Return on Net Worth ratios of Godrej Consumer Products - the highest in corporate India.
- Godrej Consumer Products was awarded the "Best Managed Workforce" award given by Hewitt Associates and CNBC TV18.
- Godrej Consumer Products features in the Top 25 list of Great Places to Work (survey conducted by GrowTalent in association with Business World) for four years in a row.
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Godrej Industries from CHEMEXCIL, the Basic Chemicals Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics Exports Promotion Council.
- The Brand Trust Report published by Trust Research Advisory ranked Godrej in 22nd position.
- Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd. Corporate Website
- Godrej Industries & Associate Companies Corporate Website
- Godrej's Udayachal Schools Website
- Godrej Infotech Ltd. Website
- Godrej Hershey Foods & Beverages Ltd.
- Godrej Natures Basket
- Godrej Timeline
- Godrej, online publicaiton", 18 March 2010 http://www.godrej.com/godrej/Godrej/Pdf/GojiyoFinalRelease.pdf
- Daily Mail, 26th April 2011 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1380383/Godrej-Boyce-Worlds-typewriter-factory-closes-doors-Mumbai.html
- Godrej Companies Overview
- Godrej Milestones
- Godrej Awards and Accolades