Graduate Theological Union
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
|Graduate Theological Union at Berkeley|
|Location||Berkeley, California, U.S.|
The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) is a consortium of eight independent American theological schools and eleven centers and affiliates. Seven of the theological schools are located in Berkeley, California. The GTU was founded in 1962 and is affiliated with the University of California, Berkeley. Most of the GTU member schools are located in the Berkeley hills one block north of the university. GTU's enrollment is currently around 1,300. The local nickname for the neighborhood is "holy hill".
Religious traditions represented include Protestant, Catholic, Unitarian Universalist, Eastern Orthodox, Jewish, Muslim, and Buddhist. Curricula amongst the schools includes the arts, biblical studies, cultural and historical studies, ethics, social theory, spirituality, interreligious and interdisciplinary studies, in addition to subjects in systematic and philosophical theology. GTU offers M.A. and Doctor of Theology degrees as well as the Ph.D program in cooperation with the University of California at Berkeley. GTU seminaries variously offer M.Th., M.Div, Doctor of Ministry, S.T.B., S.T.L., and S.T.D. degrees. All degree seeking students at GTU may take any classes offered at the University of California, Berkeley, and have access and borrowing privileges at the University of California, Berkeley and Stanford University libraries.
- American Baptist Seminary of the West (American Baptist and Progressive National Baptist)
- Church Divinity School of the Pacific (Episcopal)
- Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology
- Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley
- Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (ELCA)
- Pacific School of Religion (United Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, and United Methodist Church), including the Swedenborgian House of Studies
- San Francisco Theological Seminary (Presbyterian Church (USA))
- Starr King School for the Ministry (Unitarian Universalist)
- The Richard S. Dinner Center for Jewish Studies
- Institute of Buddhist Studies (Buddhist Churches of America)
- Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute (Eastern Orthodox Church)
- Center for the Arts, Religion, and Education
- Center for the Study of Religion and Culture
- Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences
- New College Berkeley
- School of Applied Theology
The Graduate Theological Union maintains the Flora Lamson Hewlett Library, the largest theological library west of the Rockies, and one of the largest theological libraries in the world, with almost 500,000 library volumes in 2007. Its material acquisitions are coordinated with the University of California Berkeley and Stanford University libraries. Borrowing privileges are available for all three institutions. Furthermore, GTU students are privy to borrowing from the University of Texas, Austin libraries as part of the RCLP agreement between University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University, and UT-Austin. In addition, GTU and UCB students can access the rare and special collections in both institutions' libraries.
In one independent compilation based on the NRC’s "regression-based" rankings, the GTU appears at No. 22 overall.
- Frances Adeney (Ph.D.), William A. Benfield, Jr. Professor of Evangelism and Global Missions at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
- João Biehl (Ph.D., 1996), Professor of anthropology at Princeton University
- Virginia Burrus (MA, 1984; Ph.D., 1991), Bishop W. Earl Ledden Professor of Religion at Syracuse University
- Rev. Jana Childers (Ph.D.), Academic Dean and Professor of Homiletics at San Francisco Theological Seminary
- John Dear (M.A.), 2008 nominee for the Nobel Prize in Peace 2008
- James Donahue (Ph.D.), President of Saint Mary's College of California
- Andrew Dreitcer (Ph.D.), Associate Professor of Spirituality and Director of Spiritual Formation at Claremont School of Theology
- Eileen Chamberlain Donahoe (Ph.D.), U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Human Rights Council
- Peter Feldmeier (Ph.D.), Thomas and Margaret Murray and James J. Bacik Professor of Catholic Studies at the University of Toledo.
- Charlotte Fonrobert (Ph.D.), Associate Professor and Graduate Director of Religious Studies, Co-Director of Taube Center for Jewish Studies at Stanford University
- Nancy Katherine Frankenberry (Ph.D. 1977), John Phillips Professor of Religion at Dartmouth College
- Barbara Green, OP (MA, Ph.D.), Professor of Biblical Studies at Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology
- Ted Grimsrud (Ph.D. 1988), Professor of Theology and Peace Studies at Eastern Mennonite University
- Daniel G. Groody, (Ph.D.), Associate Professor of Theology at University of Notre Dame
- Jennifer Scheper Hughes (Ph.D. 2006), Associate Professor of History at University of California at Riverside
- Uriah Kim (Ph.D.), Academic Dean and Associate Professor of Hebrew Bible at Hartford Seminary
- Kristen Johnston Largen (Ph.D.), Associate Professor of Theology at Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
- Robert Lassalle-Klein (Ph.D.), Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Holy Names University
- Jennifer L. Lord (Ph.D.), Dorothy B. Vickery Professor of Homiletics and Liturgical Studies at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
- Margaret R. Miles (Ph.D. 1977), Bussey Professor Emerita at Harvard Divinity School and former Dean of the Graduate Theological Union.
- Deborah Mumford (M.A., Ph.D.), Frank H. Caldwell Associate Professor of Homiletics and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
- Nancey Murphy (Ph.D., Th.D.), Professor of Christian Philosophy at Fuller Theological Seminary
- James Noel (Ph.D.), Eugene Farlough, Jr. Professor of African American Christianity at San Francisco Theological Seminary
- Andrew Sung Park (Ph.D.), Professor of Theology and Ethics at United Theological Seminary
- Vincent W. Patton III (Ed.D.), retired Master Chief Petty Officer of the U.S. Coast Guard
- Jennifer Howe Peace (Ph.D. 2005), Assistant Professor of Interfaith Studies at Andover-Newton Theological Seminary
- Very Rev. W. Mark Richardson (Ph.D.), President and Dean of Church Divinity School of the Pacific
- Rev. Tamara Nichols Rodenberg (Ph.D.), Vice President for Advancement at Brite Divinity School
- Janet K. Ruffing, RSM, Professor in the Practice of Spirituality and Ministerial Leadership at Yale University Divinity School
- Robert John Russell (M.A.), Ian Barbour Professor of Theology at the Graduate Theological Union and Director of the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences.
- Gregory E. Sterling (Ph.D.), Henry Slack Dean and Lillian Claus Professor of New Testament at Yale University Divinity School
- Shibley Telhami (M.A.), Anwar Sadat Professor for Peace and Development at the University of Maryland
- Jenny Te Paa-Daniel (Ph.D. 2001), Ahorangi (Dean) Emerita of Te Rau Kahikatea at St. John's College, Auckland and the first Maori woman to receive a doctorate in theology.
- Arthur S. Thomas, Chief of Chaplains of the U.S. Air Force
- George E. Tinker (Ph.D.), Clifford Baldridge Professor of American Indian Cultures and Religious Traditions at Iliff School of Theology
- Terrence W. Tilley (Ph.D.), Avery Cardinal Dulles Professor of Catholic Theology at Fordham University
- Loren L. Townsend (Ph.D.), Henry Morris Edmonds Professor of Pastoral Ministry at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary
- Wesley Wildman (Ph.D.), Professor of Theology and Ethics at Boston University, Co-Founder of Institute for the Biocultural Study of Religion, and Director of Liberal Evangelical
- Laurie Zoloth (Ph.D.), Professor of Religious Studies and Professor of Bioethics and Medical Humanities at Northwestern University, and the 2013 President of the American Academy of Religion
Notable graduates of GTU member schools
(Acronyms: ABSW: American Baptist Seminary of the West, CDSP: Church Divinity School of the Pacific, DSPT: Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, JST-SCU: Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley, PSR: Pacific School of Religion, SFTS: San Francisco Theological Seminary, SKSM: Starr King School for the Ministry)
- Wilton H. Bunch, (M.Div., CDSP), Professor of Philosophy at Samford University
- The Rev. ChangBok Chung, (Th.D., SFTS), President of Hanil University
- Bishop Wilbur Choy (M.Div., PSR), first Asian American Bishop in the United Methodist Church.
- Eduardo C. Fernandez, SJ, (M.Div., JST-SCU), Professor of Pastoral Theology and Ministry at Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley.
- The Rev. Robert Fulghum, (M.Div, SKSM), author of eight best-selling books of non-fiction, including All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten and It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It
- Chung Chin-Hong, (D.Min, SFTS), Professor of Phenomenology of Religion at Seoul National University
- Ellen Davis (M.Div, CDSP), Amos Ragan Kearns Distinguished Professor of Bible and Practical Theology at Duke University
- Rev. Michael E. Engh, SJ (M.Div., JST-SCU), President of Santa Clara University
- Bishop Yvette Flunder, (M.Div., PSR, D.Min. SFTS), founder of the City of Refugee and Chair of the San Francisco Inter-religious Coalition on AIDS
- Daniel G. Groody, (STL, JST-SCU), Associate Professor of Theology at University of Notre Dame
- The Most Rev. Paul Kwong (M.Div., CDSP), 2nd Bishop of Hong Kong and Archbishop and Primate of the Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui
- Carolyn S. Leeb, (M.Div, SFTS), lecturer in theology at Valparaiso University.
- Herb Long (B.D., SFTS), former Dean of Students at Harvard Divinity School.
- Michael C. McCarthy (M.Div., JST-SCU), Edmund Campion, SJ, University Professor at Santa Clara University
- The Rev. Laura Mendenhall (M.Div., SFTS), former President of Columbia Theological Seminary
- Debra Mumford (M.Div., ABSW), Frank H. Caldwell Associate Professor of Homiletics and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
- The Rev. Neal D. Presa (M.Div., SFTS), 220th Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Christopher J. Renz, OP (M.Div., DSPT), Academic Dean at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology.
- The Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow (M.Div, SFTS), 218th Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Robert John Russell (M.Div., PSR), Ian Barbour Professor of Theology at the Graduate Theological Union and Director of the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences.
- The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori (M.Div, CDSP), 26th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, first female Primate in the Anglican Communion
The GTU's president is Riess W. Potterveld, who previously was president at the Pacific School of Religion.
The GTU's dean is Arthur Holder, who previously served as Academic Dean at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific. His immediate predecessor was Judith Berling, who is professor of Chinese religions at the GTU and was president of the American Academy of Religion in 1990.
- David Alexander, Professor of Old Testament and Theology at San Francisco Theological Seminary, and President Emeritus of Pomona College
- Aaron Brody, Robert and Kathryn Riddell Associate Professor of Bible and Archaeology at Pacific School of Theology and participating faculty at the University of California at Berkeley
- Kevin F. Burke, SJ, Associate Professor of Theology at the Jesuit School of Theology. A student of Roger Haight, SJ, his scholarship focuses on Christology, spirituality, and the theology of Ignacio Ellacuria.
- John Dillenberger, Professor and President Emeritus, Graduate Theological Union Berkeley, California
- Eduardo C. Fernandez, SJ, Professor of Pastoral Theology and Ministry at Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley. HIs research focuses on Latina/o theology, social justice, religion and culture, as well as missiology. He was the recipient of the Virgilio Elizondo Award, given by the Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians in the United States.
- Marion S. Grau, Associate Professor of Theology at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific. Her wide-ranging, interdisciplinary scholarship ranges from the theology of economics, soteriology, environment, hermeneutics, critical theory, missiology, among others. She is a student of Catherine Keller and Jürgen Moltmann and is involved with a project on theology and pilgrimage in the Faculty of Theology at the University of Oslo.
- Thomas Massaro, SJ, Dean of Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley and Professor of Moral Theology. His interests focus on Catholic social ethics as it pertains to economic justice, sociology of religion, and the history of Christian political thought.
- Robert John Russell, Ian G. Barbour Professor of Theology at the Graduate Theological Union and Director of the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences.
- Christopher Ocker, Professor of History at the San Francisco Theological Seminary and affiliated faculty of the history department of the University of California at Berkeley
- Ted Peters, Lutheran theologian and the Distinguished Research Professor of Systematic Theology at GTU and at the Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary. Editor of the Journal of Theology and Science
- Sandra M. Schneiders, IHM, Professor Emerita of New Testament and Christian Spirituality at the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley
- Imam Zaid Shakir, Served in the United States Air Force; served as an interfaith council Chaplain at Yale University, currently chairman of the board, co-founder, and senior faculty member at Zaytuna College
- Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, President, co-founder, and senior faculty member of Zaytuna College. Also, an advisor to Stanford University’s Program in Islamic Studies and the Center for Islamic Studies at Berkeley’s Graduate Theological Union
- Hatem Bazian, co-founder, senior faculty, and Academic Affairs Chair at Zaytuna College. He is also a senior lecturer in the Departments of Near Eastern and Ethnic Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. Bazian is also a visiting Professor in Religious Studies at Saint Mary’s College of California and adviser to the Religion, Politics, and Globalization Center at UC Berkeley.
- John Klentos, Spanos Associate Professor of Orthodox Theology at the Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute.
- Association of Theological Seminaries. "Factbook on Theological Education, 2006-2007". http://www.ats.edu/uploads/resources/institutional-data/fact-books/2006-2007-fact-book.pdf.
- Graduate Theological Union
- Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology
- Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University
- Pacific School of Religion
- Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
- San Francisco Theological Seminary
- American Baptist Seminary of the West
- Church Divinity School of the Pacific
- Starr King School for the Ministry
- Institute of Buddhist Studies
- Zaytuna College
- Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute