|Graeme (John) Davies|
|Born||7 April 1937
|Fields||Materials engineering, Metallurgy|
|Institutions||University of Liverpool,
University of Glasgow,
University of London
|Alma mater||University of Auckland
St Catharine's College, Cambridge
|Known for||his leadership of the universities of Liverpool, Glasgow and London.|
Sir Graeme (John) Davies, FREng, FRSNZ, FRSE (b. 7 April 1937) is a New Zealand engineer, academic and administrator. He is a former Vice-Chancellor of three universities: the University of Liverpool, the University of Glasgow and the University of London.
He is the son of Harry John Davies and Gladys Edna Davies (née Pratt). He was born in New Zealand and attended Mount Albert Grammar School in Auckland. He later attended the University of Auckland when he obtained a BE in Aeronautical Engineering and PhD in Materials Science. He then attended St Catharine's College, Cambridge obtaining an MA and ScD.
Davies has taught metallurgy at the University of Auckland (1964–66), the University of Cambridge (1966-77) and the University of Sheffield (1978–86) where he was Professor of Metallurgy. and has served as Chief Executive of the Universities Funding Council (UFC) and the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). He is also a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand. He became and Honorary Fellow of St Catharine's College, Cambridge in 1989.
In 1959 he married Florence Isabelle Martin and they had one son and one daughter. He was knighted in 1996.
- Solidification and Casting (1973)
- Texture and the Properties of Materials (co-ed, 1976)
- Solidificacao e Fundicao das Metals e Suas Ligas (jtly, 1978)
- Hot Working and Forming Processes (co-ed, 1980)
- Superplasticity (jtly, 1981)
- Essential Metallurgy for Engineers (jtly, 1985)
- Herding Cats (jtly, 2010)
- UK Centre for Materials Education: Interview with Professor Sir Graeme Davies
- List of Vice-Chancellors of the University of London
- "DAVIES, Sir Graeme (John)", Who's Who 2013, A & C Black (Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012), retrieved 20 June 2013
Professor Robert Whelan
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Liverpool
Professor Philip Love
Sir William Kerr Fraser
|Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow
Sir Muir Russell
Professor Professor Graham J Zellick CBE
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of London
2003 – 2010
Professor Geoffrey Crossick