Greg Jackson (MMA trainer)
|Founded by||Greg Jackson|
|Primary trainers||Greg Jackson
|Training facilities||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|Website||Jackson’s Winkeljohn's MMA official website|
Greg Jackson (Born. 1974) is a mixed martial arts trainer who operates the Jackson's Submission Fighting and MMA training camp in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Jackson has trained many successful fighters, including former UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre, former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans, and UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones.
Jackson was born in Washington D.C. to Kris and Jim Jackson, who were Quakers originally from the Midwest. Jackson and his family moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico when he was three years old. Jackson came from a family of wrestlers (his father, brother, and uncle were all champions in the sport) and he also grew up in a rough neighborhood. Because he needed to learn how to defend himself, Jackson began learning the martial arts. While the young Jackson was occasionally passive in fighting, he would also be an aggressor in brawls and was suspended from school on more than one occasion. In 1992, after graduating from Rio Grande High School Jackson founded his own martial art, Gaidojutsu, which combines rudimentary techniques from wrestling and kickboxing with basic judo locks. He then developed his art by adding techniques from other styles such as wrestling, grappling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and kickboxing. His school officially turned into an MMA school in 2000.
Other notable fighters include Keith Jardine; former WEC Welterweight Champion and former UFC Interim Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit; former King of Pancrase and former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nate Marquardt; former Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Shane Carwin; former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski; former Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and World MMA Fight of the Year Award Winner Clay Guida; and TUF 14 winners John Dodson and Diego Brandao.
Greg Jackson has won three World MMA Awards. He won "Best Coach" and "Best Gym" in 2009, and "Coach of the Year" in 2010.
Notable fighters trained at Jackson’s MMA
In 2009, Greg released an instructional book about his fighting style called "Jackson's MMA - The Stand Up Game." In 2010, Greg released another instructional book about his ground fighting style called "Jackson's MMA - The Ground Game."
- By L. Jon Wertheim. "War And Peace In Jackson's Gym - SI.com - Magazine". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- Hunt, Loretta (2009-10-09). "Arlovski to Train with Jackson’s Academy". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "John "The Magician" Dodson MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. 1984-09-26. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Diego "DB" Brandao MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. 1987-05-27. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Fighters Only World Mixed Martial Arts Awards 2010 - 2009 Winners". Onlineawards.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts: The Stand Up Game: Greg Jackson, Kelly Crigger: 9780981504452: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts: The Ground Game: Greg Jackson, Kelly Crigger: 9780982565803: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Bellator's 'Fight Master' reality series set for summer debut on Spike TV". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 5 February 2013.