Groupement tactique interarmes de Kapisa
The Groupement tactique interarmes de Kapisa (GTIA Kapisa, "joint tactical group of Kapisa"), also called Task Force Korrigan, is a battalion-sized unit of the French Army, based in Kapisa Province, in Afghanistan. It operates in the framework of the French forces in Afghanistan.
GTIA Kapisa comprises
- a command component
- a support component
- two armoured infantry sub-groups
The support unit provides fire support, engineering, communications, maintenance and medical support.
The GTIA Kapisa operates under the Regional Command East headed by US general Curtis Scaparrotti. The other units of the French Army in Afghanistan operate under Regional Command Capital headed by French general Michel Stollsteiner.
From 15 June 2009, GTIA Kapisa has been constituted of the 3rd RIMa, complemented with an armoured unit of the 1st RIMa, two engineering sections of the 6th RG, two mortar sections of the 11th RAMa, and a communication group for the 48th RT. This amounts to 650 personnel.
On 1 November 2009, command of the GTIA was transferred to the Brigade La Fayette.
The foundation of the GTIA-Kapisa was announced by President Sarkozy in 3 April 2008, during the NATO summit in Bucarest.
Task Force Chimera, August 2008 to January 2009
From August 2008 - January 2009, the GTIA-Kapisa was dubbed "Task Force Chimera". It comprised elements of
Task Force Chimera sustained 15 wounded during its tour.
Task Force Tiger, January 2009 to 15 June 2009
From January 2009 to 15 June 2009, the GTIA-Kapisa was dubbed "Task Force Tiger", under Colonel Nicolas Le Nen. It comprised elements of
One of the most notable operations was the Battle of Alasay, on 14 March 2009.
Task Force Tiger sustained one dead (Corporal Nicolas Belda, killed during the Battle of Alasay), and one wounded.
Task Force Korrigan, 15 June 2009 to 15 January 2010
From 15 June 2009 to 15 January 2010, the GTIA-Kapisa is dubbed "Task Force Korrigan", under colonel Chanson. It comprises
- a section of the 3e RIMa
- a section of the 6e RG
- two mortar sections from the 11e RAMa
- one group of the 48e RT
- one armoured platoon of the 1e RIMa
As of the 1 November 2009, Task Force Korrigan had lost 7 killed and 44 wounded.
- La brigade La Fayette prend ses marques
- 11/07/2008 - Afghanistan : Évolution du dispositif français, Ministry of Defence, 11 July 2008
- (French) 10/07/08 - Afghanistan : Montée en puissance du GTIA Kapisa, Ministry of Defence, 10 July 2008
- (French) Afghanistan : un nouveau chef au GTIA Kapisa, Ministry of Defence, 15 June 2009
- (French) La France va envoyer huit canons Caesar en Afghanistan, Jean-Dominique Merchet, Secret Défense, 29 June 2009