Grover Carr Furr III (born April 3, 1944 in Washington, D.C.) is an American professor and author of books and articles in Russian and English on Soviet history under the period of Joseph Stalin, particularly relating to the Great Purges and the “Secret Speech.”
Grover Furr graduated from McGill University in Montreal, Canada in 1965 with a BA in English. He received a Ph.D in Comparative literature from Princeton University in 1978. Since February 1970 he has been on the faculty at Montclair State University in New Jersey, where he specializes in medieval English literature.
He has regularly given presentations at conferences of the Modern Language Association. He has also given presentations at the Left Forum in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, as well as participating in the Rethinking Marxism conferences of 2006, 2009 and 2013.
His book Khrushchev Lied was listed as a best seller in the genre of Russian history at Trading House Books, Moscow when released in 2008. The book attacked much of a speech given by Nikita Khrushchev, called On the Cult of Personality and Its Consequences, but more commonly referred to in the west as the "Secret Speech." Both criticized and praised, it was credited by the Journal of the Research Group on Socialism and Democracy with giving a critical analysis of the content of the speech, as well as enabling a better understanding of the impact that the speech had on the world.
In May 2014 he held a talk at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. Ma Weixian, Researcher at the Russia-Eastern Europe-Central Asia Research Institute of the Academy, wrote in an article on Khrushchev Lied that "His [Furr's] concern [that the results of his research would not be believed] did not prevent his comprehensive, detailed, and in-depth research into the Secret Speech. Finally he exposed the lies in the Secret Speech in a monograph of more than 400 pages."
He was listed by Conservative commentator David Horowitz as one of the "101 most dangerous academics in America." John Earl Haynes and Harvey Klehr criticized Furr as one of those who "eagerly jumped onto the revisionist bandwagon" in Soviet studies.
Other Conservative commentators have criticized Furr, such as Michael Medved and in The Star-Ledger. In 2012 Furr was criticized by websites like FrontPage Magazine and The Daily Caller for a response he gave to a question on Stalin during a university debate.
- Grover Furr. Антисталинская подлость. Moscow: Algorithm. 2007.
- Yuri Mukhin, Grover Furr & Aleksei Golenkov. Оболганный Сталин. Moscow: Algorithm/Penguin Books. 2010.
- Grover Furr. Тени ХХ съезда, или Антисталинская подлость. Moscow: Penguin Books. 2010.
- Grover Furr & Vladimir L. Bobrov. 1937. Правосудие Сталина. Обжалованию не подлежит!. Moscow: Penguin Books. 2010.
- Grover Furr. Khrushchev Lied. The Evidence That Every “Revelation” of Stalin’s (and Beria’s) Crimes in Nikita Khrushchev’s Infamous “Secret Speech” to the 20th Party Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union on February 25, 1956, is Provably False. Kettering, OH: Erythros Press & Media. 2011.
- Grover Furr. Hruşçov’un Yalanları.SBKB(B) XX. Kongresinde Yapılan Suçlamalar Hakkında. Istanbul: Yordamkitap, 2011
- David Holloway, Donald Rayfield & Grover Furr. Берия. Империя ГУЛАГ. Moscow: Algorithm. 2012.
- Grover Furr. Stalin ve Demokrasi - Trotskiy ve Naziler. Istanbul: Yazilama, 2012.
- Grover Furr. As Mentiras de Khrushchev. Galiza [Galicia], Spain: Edicions Benigno Alvarez. 2013
- Grover Furr. The Murder of Sergei Kirov: History, Scholarship and the Anti-Stalin Paradigm. Kettering, OH: Erythros Press & Media. 2013.
- Grover Furr. Убийство Кирова. Новое расследование. Moscow: Russkaia Panorama, 2013.
- Grover Furr. BLOOD LIES: The Evidence that Every Accusation against Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union in Timothy Snyder’s Bloodlands Is False. Plus: What Really Happened in: the Famine of 1932-33; the “Polish Operation”; the “Great Terror”; the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact; the “Soviet invasion of Poland”; the“Katyn Massacre”; the Warsaw Uprising; and “Stalin’s Anti-Semitism”. New York: Red Star Publishers, 2014.
- Grover Furr. Khrouchtchev a Menti. Paris: Editions Delga, 2014.
- France vs. Italy: French Literary Nationalism in 'Petrarch's Last Controversy' And A Humanist Dispute of ca. 1395. Proceedings of the Patristic, Medieval and Renaissance Conference, Villanova University, 1981, Vol. 4.
- Review of Thomas G. Butson, The Tsar's Lieutenant: The Soviet Marshal. New York: Praeger, 1984. In The Russian Review, Vol. 44, No. 4 (1986), pp. 427–8.
- "New Light On Old Stories About Marshal Tukhachevskii: Some Documents Reconsidered." Russian History 13, Nos 2-3 (Summer-Fall 1986), 293-308.
- “Stalin and the Struggle for Democratic Reform, Part One.” Cultural Logic 8, 2005 (Published April 2005).
- “Stalin and the Struggle for Democratic Reform, Part Two.” Cultural Logic 8, 2005 (Published December 2005).
- “(Un)critical Reading and the Discourse of Anti-communism.” The Red Critique 11, Spring 2006.
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov, “Pervye priznatel'nye pokazaniia N.I. Bukharina na Lubianke.” Klio (St Petersburg, Russia) No. 1 (36) 2007, pp. 38–44.
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov, eds. “Lichnye pokazaniia N. Bukharina.” Klio (St. Petersburg, Russia), No. 1 (36) 2007, pp. 45–52.
- “Anatomy of an Anticommunist Fabrication: The Death of Oliver Law, An Historiographical Investigation.” Reconstruction 8.1 (May, 2008).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov. "Nikolai Bukharin's First Statement of Confession in the Lubianka." Cultural Logic 2007.
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov. “’Predsmertnoe pis’mo Bukharina’ – eshche odna antistalinskaia fal’shivka.” (Bukharin’s “letter at his death” – yet another anti-Stalin fabrication.” Aktual’naia istoriia (Contemporary History) February 2009.
- “Did the Soviet Union Invade Poland in September 1939? (The answer: No, it did not.).” Cyrano’s Journal September 1, 2009.
- “Baberowski’s Falsification.” Cyrano’s Journal. January 11, 2010.
- “Evidence of Leon Trotsky's Collaboration with Germany and Japan.” Cultural Logic 2009 (actual publication: April 3, 2010).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir L. Bobrov. “Stephen Cohen's Biography of Bukharin: A Study in the Falsehood of Khrushchev-Era 'Revelations' “. Cultural Logic 2010 (publication date: January 1, 2012).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir L. Bobrov, “Marshal S.M. Budiennyi on the Tukhachevsky Trial. Impressions of an Eye-Witness “ (in Russian). Klio (St. Petersburg) No. 2 (2012), pp. 8–24.
- “Learning from the Communist Movement of the 20th Century. A Response to Richard Rubin. “ Platypus Review #45 (April 2012).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir L. Bobrov, “Marshal S.M. Budiennyi on the Tukhachevsky Trial. Impressions of an Eye-Witness “ (in Russian) “, Klio (see below) is reprinted in the book M.N. Tukhachevskii: Kak My Predali Stalina (“M.N. Tukachevsky. How We Betrayed Stalin”), Moscow: Algoritm, September 2012, pages 174-230. ISBN 978-5-4438-0110-0
- The "Official" Version of the Katyn Massacre Disproven? Discoveries at a German Mass Murder Site in Ukraine. Socialism and Democracy 27(2) (August 2013): 96-129.
- Faculty, English Department, Montclair State University
- Faculty, English Department, Montclair State University
- "Shestdesiat' odna nepravda Nikity Khrushcheva". Literaturnaia Rossiia, No. 24, March 16, 2008.
- Sergei Semanov. "Khrushchev i Ego 'Bor'ba s Kul'tom' v Svete Istiny". Russkii Vestnik. March 13, 2008.
- Sven-Eric Holmstrom (2012): Khrushchev Lied, Socialism and Democracy, 26:2, 119-124.
- Grover Furr, Khrushchev Lied (Kettering, Ohio: Erythros Press & Media LLC, 2011) Journal of the Research Group on Socialism and Democracy, 2013
- Ma Weixian (马维先), “畅销书《反斯大林的卑劣行径》证明:赫鲁晓夫“秘密报告”“全部由谎言拼凑而成” in 世界社会主义研究. 2014 年＊特刊１（总第１０６期）, １－１１.
- David Horowitz. The Professors: The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America. Washington, DC: Regnery Publishing, Inc. 2006. pp. 186-189.
- Haynes, John Earl & Harvey Klehr. In Denial: Historians, Communism and Espionage. San Francisco: Encounter Books. 2003. pp. 26-27.
- The Michael Medved Show, Thursday March 17, 2005.
- Paul Mulshine. "Our Nutty Professor Beats Theirs." The Star-Ledger April 25, 2005 page 15.
- "Professor Grover Furr Praises Stalin, Claims He Never Committed ‘One Crime’"
- "Professor defends Stalin, socialism at student-organized debate"