Harvey Elliott Klehr (born December 25, 1945) is a professor of politics and history at Emory University; he is known for his books on the subject of the American Communist movement, and on Soviet espionage in America (many written jointly with John Earl Haynes).
Klehr was born in Newark, New Jersey. He received his undergraduate degree from Franklin and Marshall College in 1967, and his doctorate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1971.
He has received a number of awards, including Emory's Thomas Jefferson Award (in 1999). He was a member of the National Council on the Humanities, served a term that expired in 2010.
- Klehr, Harvey (1978). Communist Cadre: The Social Background of the American Communist Party Elite. Stanford, Calif.: Hoover Institution Press. ISBN 0-318-74693-X. OCLC 4683880.
- Klehr, Harvey (1984). The Heyday of American Communism: The Depression Decade. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 0-465-02945-0. OCLC 10456780.
- Klehr, Harvey ed.; Bernard K. Johnpoll ed. (1986). Biographical dictionary of the American left. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press.
- Klehr, Harvey (1988). Far Left of Center: The American Radical Left Today. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction. ISBN 0-88738-217-7. OCLC 17210024.
- Klehr, Harvey; John Earl Haynes (1992). The American Communist Movement: Storming Heaven Itself. New York: Twayne Publishers. ISBN 0-8057-3856-8. OCLC 25201075.
- Klehr, Harvey; John Earl Haynes, Fridrikh Igorevich Firsov (1996). The Secret World of American Communism. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-06855-7. OCLC 30779937.
- Klehr, Harvey; Ronald Radosh (1996). The Amerasia Spy Case: Prelude to McCarthyism. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. ISBN 0-8078-2245-0. OCLC 32590046.
- Klehr, Harvey; John Earl Haynes, Kyrill Anderson (1998). The Soviet World of American Communism. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-07150-7. OCLC 37187391.
- Klehr, Harvey; John Earl Haynes (1999). Venona: Decoding Soviet Espionage in America. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-08462-5. OCLC 44694569.
- Klehr, Harvey; John Earl Haynes (2003). In Denial: Historians, Communism and Espionage. San Francisco, Calif.: Encounter Books. ISBN 1-59403-088-X. OCLC 62271849.
- Klehr, Harvey; John Earl Haynes, Alexander Vassiliev (2009). Spies: The Rise and Fall of the KGB in America. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-12390-6.
External links